⌗ CHAPTER 5

SCARLET HEART

CHAPTER 5
DETERMINATION AND LOSS

EDITED - 012924

“Oh, Tanjirou!” One of the shopkeepers exclaimed

“Oh, Tanjirou!” One of the shopkeepers exclaimed. “I haven't seen you in quite some time! How have you and your family been?”

The burgundy-haired male stopped in his tracks to greet him.

“We've all been doing fairly well. Rokuta and the others are growing up really fast,” he said. “Did you enjoy your trip to visit your mother?”

The man grunted in response. Mother-in-law, and no. She hates my guts for moving her daughter away from the city.”

“Oh, is that so?” Tanjirou sweat-dropped.

“She doesn't even realize that she's the reason I moved us here. All that woman ever does is try to start trouble.” He then turned to face Tanjirou.

“Listen well, kid. I'm going to give you some advice. Whenever you decide to settle down and get a fiancée—”

Yurika tuned out of the conversation as soon as it began. Whenever someone starts saying a bunch of words she is not interested in, her ears just kind of shut off automatically. She also started to become absent-minded while looking around the town, finding waltzing around to the music in her head to be much more interesting of an activity. She continued to tune them out for however long they planned on speaking.

That is, until the shopkeeper directed his gaze at her from over the young Kamado's shoulder. “Hmm? Who is this?”

She snapped out of her daze when she noticed the two looking at her. She tilted her head slightly as Tanjirou was about to introduce her to the man, but Yurika quickly realized what was happening when she saw the perplexed gaze of the man.

Turning her full attention to the shopkeeper, she gave him a friendly smile. “Hello! My name is Yurika!” She bowed her head slightly, “I am very pleased to meet you.”

As the man bowed and introduced himself to her, Yurika could see Tanjirou smiling at her modest attempt at communication. However, he immediately sweat-dropped when he noticed that she started to become absent-minded again.

I hate socializing, but I also don't want to be rude to them... I'm not even in the Philippines, *sigh*... She thought, and her mind drifted again. What was the reason again why I joined Jirou?

“Well, it seems it's a little too late for you to take that advice of mine, Tanjirou. You seem to have already gotten yourself a fiancée, a pretty one at that!”