||Prologue||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
Prologue
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

The grey walls of the classrooms in Saint Finbar matched the dullness of grey clouds floating in the skies. The school of Henderson House that sat across from it was just as quiet, as all students were in their classrooms. In times of war, schools had to do everything in their control to ensure that students could carry on with their education.

In an average classroom where boredom diffused throughout, a literature teacher gave a lecture on Shakespearean plays. She rambled on about the complexities of The Merchant of Venice and its antagonist, Shylock the Jewish moneylender.

"Shylock is an intriguing character..." She continued speaking regardless of her audience's depleting energy.

The students were sunken in their seats, with their heads resting on their desks. A few paid attention and took down notes vigorously. Some were sat away in the corners hurling paper balls at their classmates.

From the teacher's view, a shy and reserved girl seemed disciplined at the back of the classroom as compared to some of her peers who were in slumber at the front and the middle. Her pencil, snaked in between her fingers, moved across her notes. She appeared deep in thought as she never once glanced up from her desk.

Unbeknownst to the teacher, she had not been taking down notes at all. She focused on the little faces she had conjured on the corners of her worksheet, extending their lines into fully clothed figures. She created capes over their medieval outfits, and their hands were extended to meet in the middle.

"Ahem, Miss Baker?"

"Yes?" She glanced up, immediately redirecting her attention to the board.

"What is your estimation of Shylock in this passage?" The teacher prompted.

"Oh, erm," she stammered, trying to buy herself some time, "sorry, I didn't catch that."

The teacher repeated her question patiently and redirected the focus to her student.

"Um, I think he is blinded by hatred," she began with a slightly shaky tone, "and this hatred hinders him from showing mercy and forgiving Antonio for the way he had treated him in the past."

"There's more we can build on in that answer, for sure," the teacher carried on, "but good try, Miss Baker! Would anyone else like to try?"

She lowered her head to meet the doodles of her parents drawn on paper. They were dressed in their royal outfits from an enchanted land, called Narnia. Her heart yearned to see them once more as she reminisced the stories her mother used to share.

She had been there before. She travelled the lands that they did in their childhood, she slept in the rooms of the castle that they used to rule, and she learned stories of their reign over Narnia.

"Pardon me," the school's discipline mistress knocked on the door of the classroom, "is Charlotte Baker in this room?"

The girl's head shot up as all eyes pointed to her. She gulped her saliva, immediately recollecting every wrong deed she had performed in school.

"It's your aunt, she's arrived to see you," the discipline mistress announced, "she mentioned that you urgently needed to see her."