||28||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
👤Unexpected Visitor👤
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

In the days that followed, Charlotte and her friends spoke of Narnia. She found herself passing down stories — some of her parents' adventures, and some of her own — to Eustace, who had many queries. Even seeing Edmund share about his journey and open up about his past with Eustace warmed her heart. With every story, Eustace grew fonder and yearned to introduce it to his school friend Jill Pole, whom they'd all already been acquainted with just the other day.

While reminiscing their adventures in Lucy's room one day, they were interrupted by the pounding of faint knocks on the front door downstairs. The group glanced at each other, perplexed.

"That's odd, Aunt Alberta wouldn't be home for a few more hours," Lucy toggled her vision between the two boys. "Are we expecting anyone?"

"I'll get it," Edmund offered, certain that his uncle was most likely dozing off.

"I should get it, you're a guest," Eustace got on his feet.

"Perhaps, but I'm older," Edmund refuted astutely, "it'd probably be best if I handled any strangers without Aunt Alberta around."

Edmund made his way towards the front door. He unlocked the door, sparing a tiny gap and rendering only his eyes visible to an unfamiliar female visitor.

"Good afternoon, Ma'am."

"Good afternoon, young man, is Charlotte Baker here?"

She was dressed neatly with a coat layered over her checked suit, accessorised with a handbag in her grip. Edmund widened the door to allow himself a complete view of the stranger as he deduced her identity right off the bat.

"You must be her aunt."

"Yes, I've come to speak with her. And who might you be?"

"Edmund Pevensie, Ma'am, I'm a close friend of Charlotte's," Edmund bowed respectfully, shortly interrupted by a harsh whisper.

His attention was summoned towards the three youths at the top of the stairs. The inquisitive glint in Charlotte's eyes prompted him to reveal the visitor's identity.

"It's your aunt," he mouthed, his words barely audible.

Charlotte's face was paralysed, uncertain what to make of her guardian's arrival. An influx of emotions shot through her body in a muddle. Before they processed her actions, a booming thud startled Edmund with a jolt and she barricaded herself against the door. Lucy and Eustace were equally baffled, exchanging glances at her behaviour.

"Char, that's not nice," Edmund gently disputed her gesture. "We don't slam doors on visitors, whoever they may be."

"But why's she here now?" She speculated. "She hasn't bothered up to this point."

"But, being here now is a good thing... Right?" Eustace's sought Lucy's insights.

"Perhaps she's come to her senses," Lucy suggested, taking a few steps down.

"There's no harm inquiring," Edmund agreed and proceeded to turn the knob, only for Charlotte's fingers to encase his firmly. He slowly shifted his eyes from the knob to her gaze, understanding her ambivalence.