||17||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
🌌Nasty Nightmares🌌
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

Heavy storms and downpours accompanied the Dawn Treader over the next few days. The ship swayed with turbulence past the waves, and the crew worked doubly hard to steer the ship on its path. No one knew whether it was day or night, as the skies were blanketed with thick clouds. Nonetheless, they strived with all their might, braving through the storms together.

Edmund rooted himself to the ground with a hand on the ceiling, while Caspian sat comfortably by the window. They both were summoned by a distressed Drinian for a private conference.

"So, we're stuck here," Drinian traced his fingers over the map laid out on a table, "at half rations, with food and water for two more weeks, maximum."

They remained silent, anticipating his proposed solution to their troubles.

"This is your last chance to turn back, your Majesties." He nodded to them, hoping it would convince them. "There's no guarantee we'll spot the Blue Star anytime soon, not in this storm."

The two Kings exchanged glances, reading each other's minds. With only their eyes speaking to each other, it was evident that they heavily disagreed with his proposal.

"But if we turn back now, how would we break its spell?" Edmund questioned him. "If we don't do this, many more will be consumed by the mists."

"We wouldn't have to do this if it weren't for Queen Charlotte's kin," Drinian complained, "who knows if the Queen herself might lead us down a darker path, akin to her ancestor's legend."

Edmund's blood boiled at Drinian's swift switch in perception. Even Caspian frowned at his implications.

"You've known her since her coronation, and travelled with her this far," Caspian called him out gently," she's never shown signs of treachery. I trust her with my life, and so shou—"

"You will never speak of the Selfless Queen that way," Edmund cut him off abruptly, sharply staring straight at Drinian, "especially when she'd never hesitate to put your safety above hers."

Drinian, stunned by Edmund's sharp tone, rushed to defend his opinion.

"But according to what you shared, the evil seeks to corrupt the good," he recalled, "and no one is immune to it, not even she."

Edmund refused to accept his excuse. If prejudice was not in his heart, he would not have singled out such a sweet saint like Charlotte immediately after learning about the legend. Edmund would not have any of it, especially when she defended his honour before.

"And of us all, she'd be the least likely to be tempted," he insisted, "I would know, speaking as a King who's been labelled a traitor by many."

The man lowered his head and nodded. "Nevertheless, the search is still soulless— needle in a haystack, this Ramandu place.We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world."

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent."

"I'm just saying the men are getting tired," Drinian returned a poignant reply, "these are strange seas we're sailing, the likes of which I've never seen before."