||18||

✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩
🔱Buried Treasure🔱
✩.・*:。≻───── ⋆♡⋆ ─────.•*:。✩

The storms were soon replaced by bright blue skies and clouds when land was, once again, spotted from a distance. The crew of the Dawn Treader were finally at ease, eager to explore the island for possible rations and supplies. At the first sight of land, they immediately loaded themselves onto boats.

"I doubt the lords stopped here, my liege," Reepicheep suggested sceptically from a separate boat, "there's no sign of anything living."

"Right— Well, once we get ashore, take your men and search for food and water," Caspian ordered, "The four of us will search for clues."

"Hang on, you mean the five of us?" An offended voice sounded from behind him.

Everyone turned their bodies, silently staring at Eustace in perplexity. Charlotte was pleasantly amused and nudged his cousin with a triumphant smirk. After all, she somehow had faith in Eustace. Edmund briefly glanced her way, before turning his attention to the young boy.

"Who're you and what've you done with Eustace Scrubb?"

"Oh come on, don't send me back to the rat," he begged while shaking his head. "We clearly don't work well together."

"I heard that." Reepicheep warned him with a side-eye glance.

A sheepish silence surfaced among the group on the two boats, replaced by splashes of the sea waves. Eustace peered away from the rat, mumbling mellowly to himself.

"Big ears."

"I heard that too."

Eustace briefly met eyes with him, strangely horrified by his hearing range, as everyone chuckled at their exchange.

"I was in the room with you guys, I heard what the old man said," Eustace complained, "come on, the story around Charlotte and her ancestry is a tad worrying — real or not."

"Oh, so you've come to care about this quest only because of Charlotte's life at imminent risk." Edmund scoffed.

"Well, yeah, she's nice, unlike you."

Charlotte and Edmund both communicated with their eyes, with their eyebrows stringing silent sentences together. Edmund softly shook his head, and Charlotte pleaded with a pout. Eustace shifted his gaze warily between them, anticipating their verdict. Charlotte then turned to him with a disappointed expression.

"It could be dangerous, you'd best help the others out on shore where it's safe."

Eustace scrunched his nose, but he trusted Charlotte's judgment begrudgingly over anyone else's. After all, she was the one who involved him when he was needed.

"Fine."

Once they had landed on shore, the Kings and Queens navigated past the sandy rocks, leaving Eustace behind with the crew.

"You know I just didn't want him to come with, didn't you?" Edmund chuckled to himself. "But your words were nicely put, as usual."