Special ≈ A Demon's Curiosity

To celebrate reaching many milestones on Quotev (700 hearts, 1k hearts, 2k+ hearts, 3k+ hearts (I straight up just added these every time the milestone was reached. That's how long this has been in my drafts and how long I planned to release it)) and many milestones on Wattpad (100k reads, 200k+ reads, 10k+ votes)! Here's to more to come in the future thanks to all of you!

This is purely a spinoff, non-canon chapter. It has no relation to the main story and it's just a little thing (i.e. what happens in the chapter stays in the chapter). Don't take things too seriously although it's a relatively serious chapter. I wrote it because I wanted to test out how a few other love interests would play out (as per a request from a reader. It was only one so if you're still reading this fic, you know who you are).

Severe manga spoilers for the entire chapter.

———

Upper Moon One gazed into the reflection that stared back at him, six eyes unwavering in their mellow gaze.

I suppose I should change that.

With a blink, he now stared into a pair of soft dark purple eyes that were far too familiar to him. He quickly turned away from the mirror, unable to look into those eyes any longer.

Upper Moon One was not emotionless. He believed that what he felt was devotion towards his master and a small sense of comradeship with his fellow Upper Moons. He'd felt the traces of emotion he had as a human when looking into the mirror and saw his brother's face looking back. Or so he'd like to think. The truth was that nothing ever seemed to matter to him. His long life had dulled his emotions, and he couldn't bring himself to care about anything his master did fully. He couldn't tell the difference between jealousy, anger, and frustration. He couldn't tell whether his jealousy carried him forward to be stronger than his brother, or the anger of never being able to truly confront him, or the frustration of never being able to prove himself in the only way he knew he could.

Upper Moon One was tired. The five hundred-odd years he'd spent roaming this country had all been for the sake of his master. For his master, and for his own dreams. Every time he killed and ate humans, his brother's ghost would linger in the back of his mind, filling him with the anger that drove him to become a demon in the first place. The anger and the fear.

The fear of never being able to see the same sights his brother saw, the fear of his human body perishing before he could fully embrace the potential he had. He did not want to die before he became strong.

Upper Moon One was tired. Every hundred or so years, he'd become lethargic. For a brief instant in time, he'd wonder whether it was worth it. Was it worth becoming a demon? Was it worth killing humans? Was it worth serving that man?

These moments were fleeting, and in his immortal life, it was but a small second.

Whenever these occur, he'd disguise himself as a human and stay amongst them for the day. He'd see all the dark and dirty things the weak humans did to survive, and he'd feel reassured in his decision to become a demon. He'd feel proud of his strength and his dominion over those pathetic creatures. He'd feel proud of his demon blood and the power he possessed that these weak humans lacked. He'd feel proud that he followed the one man who could get rid of these pests and bring a world of powerful beings.

In these situations, it was the only thing he could do. Telling his master would result in death, and telling his inferiors would result in attempted insubordination. He could only tell himself that he was better than all those humans, that the only strongest one was now dead.