026 ≈ (Y/N)'s Main Character Requirements Are Partly Satisfied

The art was done by M0n0kUmA on Quotev and I'm sobbing rn because Bearnice.

This chapter was a pain in the ass to write because writer's block slapped me right before starting this, which is also why this was published a little late. I've been trying to write the next chapter as well, but it isn't looking so good, so that may also take some time.

Manga spoilers in the second part.

———

Icy wind pierced through her skin as she wrapped her paper-thin blanket even tighter around her body. Her knees were pulled up to her chin, curling in on herself to try and preserve what little body heat she had circulating. She blinked her eyes open to blankly stare at the dirty footprints of all those people rushing past her to return home before the dark clouds above her started letting the snow fall.

A small cough ripped through her dry throat and she quickly raised a bony hand to cover it. She relished the brief warmth her breath gave before tucking her head and closing her eyes.

If I stay here, will I go to sleep like Mama and Papa?

Footsteps hurried by her.

Why is no one helping me?

A cart filled with food supplies rattled by.

Why does this hurt so much?

"Honey . . . " She heard a quiet voice in front of her but she didn't look up. "Please?"

A gentle hand rested upon her shoulder, its warmth searing through her blanket and heating her skin. She lifted her heavy head and blearily looked at the woman in front of her. Her eyes focused on her navy blue kimono, wondering how the soft and warm fabric would feel.

"Child, what is your name?"

She opened her mouth, moving her lips in the shape of a name she barely recalled.

"Kalindi." The woman smiled, her hand brushing away the strands of tangled hair in front of her face.

"Kalindi, where are your parents?"

"Mama and Papa?" The girl swallowed around the dryness of her throat as the woman nodded. "They are asleep."

"Oh? Did you wander out while they slept? Has it been long since they fell asleep?" She shook her head.

"I didn't run away. They slept for so many days and wouldn't reply, so I came here."

The woman's eyes grew watery as she looked back at the man standing behind her. He had a similar expression on his face as he tucked his hands into the sleeves of his robes. When he nodded, the woman looked back at her.

"Kalindi, would you like to come home with us?"

She hesitated. It was cold, but she was sure she would get to see her parents when she went to sleep. If she went with these people, she didn't know the next time she'd see them.

"But . . . "

This time, the man came forward, kneeling down beside the woman. "We'll take care of you until you can see your parents again."

"You'll be safe and healthy," The woman added, "You wouldn't want your parents to worry about you, right?"

The girl nodded. She would like her parents to be happy when she saw them next. Maybe these people knew her parents and they could help wake them up.