024 ≈ From A Storm Cloud With A Name

More fanart! This was made by Shadow'sBreak on Quotev and it's so pretty and I absolutely love the colors that they used.

Congratulations to hahadontfuckwithme on Wattpad for being the first to guess the military wife reference in chapter 22 correctly. The callout is somewhere in the chapter and hopefully, you're not too disappointed *awkward laugh*

———

Tokito Muichiro had never had a pen pal. Ever since he'd woken up with no memories in Ubuyashiki's house, he'd been recovering, training, and killing demons. He'd never had the time nor desire to engage in things beyond those.

His reputation as a Pillar had grown large and slayers beneath him would always look up to him in reverence. After becoming a Pillar, he'd never thought of casually communicating with them. Many of them didn't deserve his attention, their incompetency almost making him puke.

It was all coincidence that he decided to keep the letter that junior slayer sent him. Coincidence and curiosity. The day before, he'd been on a mission with a group of other slayers. They weren't newbies so he expected them to at least be able to save their own skin, but they fell well below his expectations and died. When Ginko's teacher approached him with that letter, perhaps it was the slight guilt he felt for not killing the demon before those slayers died that made him accept the letter and send a reply.

After learning that they had communicated with a Pillar, Muichiro thought they would've been too intimidated to reply. Contrary to his thoughts, he received a reply within the next day. It took him two days to reply, by which he'd received another letter asking about his wellbeing. He almost scoffed while reading it (of all people to be worried about, this slayer chose to worry about a Pillar. How strange) and sent an immediate reply. Since then, he couldn't count how many letters he'd received over the past few months. Likewise, he couldn't count how many responses he'd sent.

"Oh! Teacher's coming again!" Ginko remarked and Muichiro looked up from his dinner. The now familiar crow landed on the railing outside the window of the Wisteria House he was staying at. Ruffling her feathers, she silently held out her leg for Muichiro to untie the letter from it. Unfolding it and pressing it flat against the tabletop, the crow hopping over to read it.

"Hello again, Tokito! How are you doing? I've been spending the last day at a fancy house with purple flowers because I got a little injured during one of my missions, but the doctor told me that I'll be fully recovered by tomorrow, so I'll be going on missions again. Sora also told me that the Big Boss up there (she called him something I couldn't understand. Oyataka? Oyaka? Idek) wanted me to go on a much harder mission with a strong demon slayer who was in the area. She didn't specify who it was, so I'm going to hope that they're stronger than me. I want to be carried, lmao.

"What else is there? Just wondering how you're doing and if anything interesting happened to you. Oh! Just had a sudden question, but how often do you meet the other Pillars? I heard it wasn't that often but I'm not sure why. Do you meet, like, once a year or every weekend over grandma's brunch spread? Wait, do brunches even exist? You know, breakfast and lunch combined? Did I come up with a genius addition to mealtime?" The crow stopped, glaring at the paper with a fire burning in her eyes.

"Continue," Muichiro demanded and the bird nodded.

"Putting my genius aside, it's been nice talking to you. Have a safe life. Sincerely, (L/N) (Y/N)."

Muichiro used to find these letters immensely strange. Disregarding the fact that she spoke so casually with him, the contents had always swayed from one topic to the other. It was obvious that this girl had no knowledge about Japanese etiquette and customs (based on her continued insistence that chopsticks were too much of a pain to learn) but he found that he didn't mind that. It made their exchanges rather entertaining.