Chapter 27 - Reaching Out

***** Brenley's Point of View *****

I shoved the business card into my back pocket and let out a sigh, asking the next person in line what they wanted. I didn't have the time or the desire to even think about men right then.

When I finally got off work that night, I felt extra exhausted, more mentally than physically. It had been a really long week and getting back into my regular routine had been a lot harder than I thought it would be.

When I got home, my Dad was in the living room reading a book and he gave me a smile.

"Hey you. I haven't gotten to talk to you much since you got back. Why don't you come sit down and tell me all about your trip," he said with a smile, patting the couch next to him.

"I would love to Dad, but I have a test to study for. Can we take a raincheck?"

"Of course pumpkin," Dad said, giving me a smile that made the wrinkles around his eyes appear. I didn't like the fact that my Dad was getting older. I couldn't even stand the thought of losing him too. I bent down and gave him a kiss on the cheek and patted his shoulder.

"Love you," I told him as I started heading up the stairs.

"Love you too!" he called out.

I flopped down onto my bed and peeled the shoes and socks off my aching, tired feet before stripping off my work uniform and taking a quick shower. I brushed my teeth and put on some pajamas before snuggling up in bed with my textbook and a notepad.

I read and then highlighted all the important parts in the chapter and then went back and made flashcards for those and started quizzing myself. After getting most of them right I did the ones I got wrong again until I finally felt ready for my test. As ready as I was gonna be anyway.

I threw my textbook on my desk and then picked my dirty clothes up off of the floor, checking the pockets before throwing them in my laundry hamper. As I checked the pockets of my work pants, I found the business card with that guy's number on it.

I sat back down on the bed and exhaled, staring at that card for a minute and trying to decide if I should send him a message. I finally unlocked my phone and opened a new text message tab, looking back and forth between the card and my phone.

Was Dave right? Should I give this guy a chance and see if it would help me get over Dylan? As I stared at my phone and thought about it, for some reason I just couldn't bring myself to do it. It didn't feel right, like something was holding me back from texting him.

I flopped back against my pillows with an exhale, looking up at the ceiling and searching for answers as I ran over everything in my mind. I missed talking to Dylan so much and I couldn't stop thinking about him. Then it dawned on me. Maybe I just needed to talk to him one more time to have closure, since I never got to tell him goodbye in person.

I clicked on his name and typed out, 'Hi, how are you?' and hovered my finger over the send button. I squeezed my eyes shut and pushed that button like it was painful and then threw the phone on my bed and covered my face with a pillow.

He probably wouldn't even answer me. He was probably so mad that I turned him down and then left without saying goodbye that he would just ignore me. He was probably in bed with some famous supermodel as we speak. All those thoughts were running through my mind when I heard the phone ding and I scrambled to pick it up.

My screen was lit up with a text from Dylan.

Dylan: 'Honestly, I've been better. How are you?'

My heart leaped and I squealed because I was so happy he texted me back.

Me: 'Same. I've definitely been better. I was really happy to see you text back. I wasn't sure if you wanted to talk to me anymore since I hadn't heard from you.'