Chapter 13 - Stirring the pot

Cass stands at the back of the betting shop, watching as John manically changes the board to whatever Lovelock tells him. It's strange for Cass, but the manic atmosphere makes her feel at ease. The hustle and bustle of the betting shop is all she's ever known. She somehow finds peace in the madness.

Her thoughts are broken when Tommy walks into the room. She can't help but admire the way her brother stalks in, greeting everyone kindly and making conversation. She joins him when he reaches Scudboat's desk, listening in on their conversation.

"Tommy!" John shouts from across the room excitedly. "Tom, they're all here for Monaghan Boy." John then says when he reaches them, a giddy smile slapped on his face. "That's what I like to hear, John boy." Tommy says happily. "Oh, Aunt Pol said she wanted to speak to you." Cass says, suddenly remembering why she was stood in the betting shop in the first place. Polly had asked her to keep an eye out for her brother.

Tommy quickly makes his way into the back room, filling Cass with dread. She knows exactly why Polly wants to speak to him, and she knows that this isn't going to go well. She discreetly grabs her coat in case she has to follow him, which turns out to not be in vein since he's just stormed out the house in shock.

She quickly flings her coat on and chases after him. "Tommy! Where are you going?" she yells as she runs up to join him. "To find Ada. I have to know the truth." He replies bluntly. "She won't tell you who it is, me and Pol have already tried that." Cass says, almost out of breath. "You knew?" Tommy says, stopping suddenly and turning his body sharply to face her. "Yes, I did, and I promised I wouldn't tell anyone. You know how much me and Ada don't really get along, I had to prove that she could trust me." Cass defends herself, almost rolling her eyes at the look of betrayal in her brother's eyes. "Fine. Come on, I think she's at the cinema." Tommy then says, gesturing for Cass to follow him.

~

Cass follows Tommy as he storms through the building, not caring about the queues he's pushing past. He flings the doors open and looks down every row of seats until he finds their sister. One glare from Cass stops the nosey onlookers from listening in.

"Tell me the man's name, Ada." Tommy says quietly after sitting next to his youngest sister. "Rudolf Valentino." Ada says with a huff. Cass has to hold in a snigger because now really is not the time to be rewarding Ada for her attitude. Without another word, Tommy stands and leaves the room, leaving the sisters to share worried glances.

All of a sudden, the film turns off and the lights come on. Everyone in the room moans in annoyance, but soon stop when Tommy comes back and tells them all to get out. He stands at the end of the row, slightly in front of Cass, with a very annoyed expression.

"I said tell me his fucking name." he says darkly, almost as if he's threatening their sister. Ada sighs in defeat before looking sharply towards them both. "Freddie fucking Thorne." She says plainly, making Cassie's eyes widen in shock. Out of all the people she imagined Ada was sneaking out to, it definitely wasn't him. "That's right. You're best friend since school. The man who saved your life in France. So go on. Go ahead and cut him. Cut him up and throw him in the cut!" Ada continues, yelling at the end of her rant, prompting Tommy to storm back out of the room.

"Why the hell did you say that? You're just making things worse for yourself." Cass says with raised eyebrows once the two sisters are alone. "Fuck off." Ada snaps as she stands and turns towards the operator. "Oi! I'm a Shelby too, you know. Put my fucking film back on!" she yells towards them before slumping back down on her chair with annoyed expression.

All Cass can do is sigh asthe lights go back down and the film continues. "I hope you're right abouthim." She says to her sister before following Tommy's actions and storming outof the room. Freddie Thorne is the father of her soon to be niece or nephew.She could have chosen anyone, and she chose him. It's safe to say that Ada isfull of surprises.