Chapter 25 - Ideas turn into plans

"I still don't get why we have to keep this a secret." Alfie almost whines as he and Cassie get ready for Tommy's arrival at his bakery. "Because I need Tommy to keep a clear head. He worries about me enough, I don't need him worrying even more and messing up all our plans." Cass replies, cleaning up the papers on Alfie's desk. "Fine." He says with a sigh before grabbing her by the waist and pecking her lips.

~

"Right then, we need to discuss what to do with Sabini." Tommy says bluntly as the three settle into their seats. "Well, he's still angry about the fact that your brother is in charge of his club. He'll be looking to grow his army before trying to take it back." Alfie says, rubbing his beard. Cass has noticed that he tends to do that when discussing business. Maybe it's an unconscious tick he has developed over the years.

There is a thick silence that falls over the room whilst they all think. "What about you, Alfie?" Cass says, making the two men look at her in confusion. "What if Sabini was to come to you for reinforcements?" She reiterates. "Make him think you have a truce, gain his trust, then drop him in the shit when we attack." Tommy says with a slow nod, finally understanding what his sister is talking about.

"How the fuck am I meant to do that?" Alfie grunts, not enjoying the idea of being in the same room as the Italians. "Parley." Cass says simply with a shrug. "Fucking parley? I ain't a pirate, love." He retorts, making her roll her eyes. "Alfie, all you have to do is make them think you're on their side. Although Arthur might not like his part in the plan." Tommy explains, having now had time to expand the idea in his mind.

~

"So, I get Sabini here for a friendly meal. We come up with some terms, which I have to fucking agree to, and then we set something up against your brother, yeah?" Alfie asks, still slightly confused. "Yes. When you shoot Billy Kitchen, blame Arthur. Sabini will bring the police in, and they will arrest him." Cass explains, again, grimacing with every step she says.

"You have to make this believable. Not only do you have to be a gangster, but you have to be a con man." Tommy says darkly. "Alright. I'll agree to this. But what do we do if Sabini knows about me and her?" Alfie says, gesturing to Cass. "If he knows we're together he might not take the deal." He then says. Cass looks down to her lap, biting her lip nervously. "Say you were using her to get to me. He'd believe it." Tommy says, prompting the couple to snap their heads towards him before looking at each other.

"That means I'd have to go back to Birmingham." Cass states in a worried tone. "Yes it does. It won't be for long. Once everything is done you can be together again. You were strong enough to be without each other for 3 years. I'm sure a month or two won't be hard." Tommy says, looking between the two of them. Neither Cass nor Alfie knew until now just how much Tommy supported their relationship. "It's the best option to keep you safe." Tommy then says, eyeing his sister as she attempts to have a silent conversation with Alfie.

"Tommy I'm pregnant." Cass then blurts out, making Alfie roll his eyes as he clearly didn't get his way. So much for keeping the baby a secret. "What?" Her brother asks with a small gasp. "We're having a baby. I don't want to stay away from Alfie." Cass reiterates, her eyes practically pleading her brother to understand. "If you stay with him, this plan won't work. I'm happy for you, but you have to come home with me." Tommy says. "Everything will be fine, love. We can still find a way to talk." Alfie adds, trying to push her to trust that her idea will work.

Silence falls over them once again as Cass thinks about her options. Everything swimming around in her head makes her stomach turn. The room becomes warm. Too warm for comfort. "I think I'm going to be sick." She says before running out of the room. Alfie goes to follow her, only to be grabbed by Tommy and pulled back over to his desk. "Leave her for a minute." Tommy says gently, having learned from past experience that she likes to be alone when this sort of thing happens.

~

"We'll speak as often as possible, ok?" Alfie reassures Cass in an attempt to stop her from crying. They're both now stood alone in his office whilst Tommy waits in the car for his sister to join him. "I don't wanna go." Cass admits, still sobbing into his chest. "I know, love. But you have to. We'll have plenty of time to choose a name for our son when this is all over." Alfie says with a smirk that he's grateful she can't see.

"I love you, Alfred Solomons." She whispers. "I love you so much more." He replies, pulling her back and kissing her deeply. "Make sure you stay safe, for both of your sakes." He then says. "I promise." Cass hiccups in reply, unable to stop her flow of tears. She's blaming it on the hormones. "Good. Now, you have to go." Alfie says, pushing her out of the room.

He watches as Cass movesquickly between the workers towards the exit. She keeps her head down as if totry and hide her tears from them, but they need the workers to see them. Alfiehas been suspecting a few of them of spying for Sabini, so this is their planto make it look like he is cutting all ties with the Shelbys. If there arespies in the bakery, they will tell Sabini about what they saw and push himcloser to accepting the truce. This has to be believable, for the goal of thebusiness to be achieved.