Chapter 1 - Explosive ends

"I promised my friend Freddie Thorne that I would speak at his funeral." Tommy starts, after stepping forwards towards the grave and clearing his throat. Cass can't help but feel uncomfortable. She's currently stood with her entire family over Freddie's grave, looking towards Ada with sorrow. When she had heard that her brother-in-law had died, her heart literally broke for Ada. She knows how it feels to lose the man you love, even if she isn't sure if hers is actually dead.

Tommy continues to talk about how he made his promise to Freddie in the trenches and that it's a shame an illness took him rather than a war which he would have been much too strong to fight in. Cass drowns most of it out as her focus is on her sister. Ada must be feeling awful, yet Cass has noticed how she hasn't shed a single tear since being here. Maybe her time away from her family has made her tougher than they all think.

After the ceremony has ended, and Freddie is laid peacefully next to his mother, everyone goes their separate ways. Tommy and Ada have gone off to the side for a conversation, whereas Cass is stood next to John and Esme. "Cass, can you hold him for a minute?" John groans as he passes his new son over to his sister. "Of course I can. I'll always have time for cuddles with my handsome new nephew." Cass says happily, making funny faces to the baby as she waves his hand around. She was so happy when Esme announced that she was pregnant. The Shelby clan were always destined to get bigger, and John had already proven himself more than worthy of standing up to the challenge.

Just then, someone screeches up to them on a motorbike. Cass watches with concern as Arthur rushes over to him before calling Tommy over. "Right! Everyone in the cars. We have to go. Now." Tommy orders everyone, prompting Cass to hand the baby back to Esme before joining Tommy in his car.

~

"Bloody hell." Polly says as she climbs out of the car after her niece. "Who would do this?" Cass asks towards Tommy, sighing in annoyance when he doesn't reply. The three make their way over to the wreckage that was once the Garrison. Cass watches as the remaining smoke floats up to the sky, trying her best to not let her mind be taken back to the war. Moss lets them under the rope that's keeping nosey onlookers away from the wreckage.

"It happened around 7am this morning. Nobody saw anything, though. Our patrols were not in the area." Moss explains in his usual monotone voice. "Got any idea who might have done this, Mr Shelby?" He then asks Tommy. "I'd say it was something to do with the gas." Tommy replies, keeping his usual stoic expression. "We did just have it fitted." Cass adds, making her brother's answer more believable. She then watches as Tommy pulls some money out of his pocket and hand it over to Moss, who begrudgingly accepts the bribe.

Polly then tilts her head towards her niece as a gesture to follow her into the wreckage. "Ladies, the structure has not yet been declared safe." Moss calls out to them, only to be ignored. "Look at this." Polly whispers to Cass, holding some green confetti in her hand. They then turn to Tommy and show it to him.

"It's everywhere. You know what this means, Tom." Cass explains, shaking her head in slight disappointment. "Confetti?" Moss asks, taking a closer look. "You can go." Tommy says sternly, prompting the sergeant to leave them in peace.

"Who did this to us?" Polly asks her niece and nephew who are apparently more in the know than she is. The pair stay silent. They have a short, yet silent, conversation about what to do, making Tommy nod before walking away from them. "What do you know?" Polly asks sternly, grabbing Cass's arm. "You don't need to worry about it, Pol. Come on, let's go home." Cass replies, pulling her arm away and leading her aunt down the street.

Cass knows too much. That's the problem. She knows that the Irish want Tommy, but she doesn't know why. She also knows that she won't be able to provide answers to her family's questions. All she can do is hope that Tommy can get all of this sorted.