Chapter 6 - Boat trip

"You can go and see him, now." The nurse says to Cassie, who's been waiting in the hospital for over an hour to see Tommy. She was informed that another visitor had arrived and demanded to be the first to see him, which he wasn't happy about. Especially when she saw Campbell walking out of his room with a smug look on his face.

Cass immediately stands and follows the nurse into the room. "Mr Shelby, your sister is here." The nurse says to him before swiftly leaving the room so they can talk in private. Cass makes her way over to Tommy and sits in the chair next to his bed. "Well, you look awful." She says in a joking tone to try and lighten the mood. It doesn't work. "We need to get out of here, Cass." Tommy says, grunting when he tries to sit up. "Where the fuck do you think we're gonna go?" Cass almost snaps as she pushes her brother back down to a laying position. "We have to go back to London." Tommy replies plainly, making his sister scoff. "Look, you can help me or not but I'm going back." Tommy says defiantly. Cass sighs in defeat as she helps him to stand.

"How are we getting to London?" Cass asks, grabbing Tommy's new clothes from her bag and throwing them to him. Usually she would help him get dressed, but if he's being this stupid then he deserves to struggle. "Boat. We'll head down to Charlie's yard." Tommy replies, his voice strained from the pain he's in. "Right, come on then." Cass says with a huff as Tommy puts most of his weight on her. She practically has to carry him out of the hospital.

~

"Hey! Who goes there?" Charlie yells as Cass and Tommy stumble through the gate to his yard. "Sorry, Uncle Charlie, it's just us." Cass replies as she practically throws her brother onto the nearest chair. "What the fuck are doing bringing him here? He's meant to be in for the next 3 weeks." Charlie says in a hushed tone, although he speaks loud enough for Tommy to hear anyway. "He wants to go back to London. I thought he'd be safer if I joined him rather than him going alone." Cass replies, ignoring whatever ramblings her brother is saying to Curly.

"We need a boat. Now." Tommy says to their uncle. "We've only got the January. She's heavy. It'll take four days to get to London." Charlie replies, almost shocked at how his nephew is ignoring the pain he is in. It's bad enough Cass's face looks like it's been trampled on. "That's going to have to do. Can you spare Curly? He can be my doctor." Tommy says, looking between his uncle and their old friend who has just finished running around like a mad man in search of Tommy's 'medicine'.

"Right, you three get aboard. I'll fill her up." Charlie says before walking off. "Curly, can you help for a second?" Cass asks, earning an eager nod in reply, before running to catch up with her uncle. "Uncle Charlie, I'm really sorry about this." She says with a sigh. "It's alright, Cassie. I know what your brother's like. Just make sure you both come back alive, alright?" Charlie replies, placing a gentle hand on her shoulder. "Ok." Cass says before going back to Tommy and helping Curly push him onto the boat.

"Charlie! Tell Polly she's in charge whilst we're gone, and if we don't come back she's in charge for good." Tommy yells to their uncle before residing to the hut on the boat to get some rest. "We're heading to Camden Town, Curly." Cass informs her friend, almost sadly. She knows that this ride is make or break for Tommy, and she's going to right next to him every step of the way.

~

It took three days for Tommy to feel better. Cass didn't sleep the entire time in case he needed anything. On the final day of the journey, she only managed to get about 2 hours sleep because of everything on her mind.

"Right, we've done enough of these before. You just sit next to me and only speak when spoken to, got it?" Tommy says to, well orders, his sister as they clamber off the boat. "We'll get the train back, Curly. See you soon." Cass says kindly to the handy man before following her brother out of the docks.

They twist and turn around many bends and walk through a few alleys before arriving at the infamous bakery that everyone talks about. Although, there is only a hint of bread in the air. Cass would've thought that someone hiding a distillery inside a bakery would think more about nosey outsiders.

The pair are greeting by a strange looking man. He looks both scrawny and strong at the same time, making Cass furrow her brows in slight confusion. She's sure she's seen his face before. They are brought into the bakery and immediately searched. "Oi!" Cass yells as the man's hand travel further than they should have.

"Put them down, Ollie! Especially that one, fuckin' hell. Looks like he's been trampled on by a heard of elephants." A voice yells from further in the building. Cass knows that voice and automatically starts to sweat with nerves. "You pair on your own?" The voice says as it draws closer.

Cass's eyes adjust quickly to the darkness in the room. "Oh my god." She whispers to herself before launching into the man's arms, holding him tightly. "Crikey. Is this how you greet everyone, love?" The man says with a slight laugh, obviously not recognising her. "Alfred, it's me." Cass whispers in his ear, prompting him to pull her back in shock. "Cass?" He asks in shock, leaving group in a thick silence as the two never break eye contact. She finally found him.