Chapter 23 - Friendly supporting alcoholism

"Come on, Alfie. Tommy asked for you to be there as well." Cass huffs as she shrugs her coat on. "Yeah, to share information that we already know." Alfie responds, rolling his eyes. "Well, I'm not actually meant to know it yet, am I? Come on, it won't be long and then we can go back to London." Cass says with a smirk, placing her hands on his shoulders and massaging them gently. She knows she's going to get what she wants, but the massaging is a little extra push for Alfie to prove how soft he is against her. "Fine." Alfie then groans, sighing at the now relaxed state he is feeling. Cass chuckles as she gets his coat from the back of her bedroom door.

~

"Hi Tom." Cass says happily as she follows her brothers and aunt into Arthur's house. Tommy responds by clearing his throat before pouring five glasses of whiskey. "Try this." He says plainly, prompting everyone to take their own glass. Cass and Alfie sniff the liquid before taking a sip, whereas Arthur and John downed theirs in one.

"That's good. Really good. Too good for the Garrison." Arthur says, leaning forward to pour himself another. "Maybe we could give it to the toffs in the Eden Club." John suggests, making Alfie nudge Cass when she silently giggles. "What is it, anyway?" Arthur then asks. "That is part of an export drive." Tommy says, gesturing towards the bottle. Polly, Arthur, and John all perk up instantly, clearly wanting to know more.

"Thanks to Mr Solomons here, we now have a secure warehouse in Camden Town and secure passage to the Poplar Docks. So, on Monday morning, we'll be sending out our first export crate." Tommy explains, making Cass smile as he acknowledges Alfie's presence. "It'll be a crate of Riley car spares bound for Halifax, Nova Scotia." He adds. "Where there's a prohibition." Polly says, now realising the plan. "Yes, where there's a prohibition." Tommy repeats with a smirk.

"All over Canada and America, people are making booze in their bathtubs. We've heard that all the richer people in places like New York, Toronto, and Boston are still willing to pay a lot of money for the real thing. That's why we're sending this over there." Cass then explains, earning a proud look from Tommy and Alfie, yet a confused look from everyone else. "So, the first Shelby company crate will contain Riley carburettors. But, in the casing, there will be 500 bottles of the finest quality single malt Scotch whiskey." Tommy adds with a small smile as everyone else smirks.

"Since we now have an export licence granted by the Minister of The Empire himself, nothing will be searched. And don't worry, Pol. Everything will be packed at the docks, so Michael can do the books and not be involved." Tommy then says, prompting Polly to sigh in relief. "We've been telling you all for the past year that motor cars are the future." Cass then says with a grin. "No wonder you didn't fucking shut up about it." John grumbles, making everyone chuckle.

"Right, we best be heading back down south. Will you be following us, Tom?" Cass then says, changing the subject. "Yeah, yeah. Just give me 10 minutes to get the car." Tommy replies before walking out. "See you all soon." Cass then says, hugging her brothers and aunt goodbye.

~

"How's business then Tommy?" Johnny dogs asks after dropping a crate next to one of the boats. "On the up, old friend. On the up." Tommy replies. "And you, Cass. How've you been?" Johnny then asks, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "I've been good. You still riding with the Lees?" Cass replies, raising her eyebrow. "Yeah, I am. They're good people." Johnny replies.

"Honestly though, how is business? You know, I'm upset that neither of you are married yet. I'm sure I could find a cousin for you both. I've a perfect one for you, Tom. She'll cause you more trouble than you want, just your type." Johnny then says, making them both laugh. "What about you, Cass? No man on the horizon?" He then says, his eyes darting towards Alfie before looking back at the woman. "Maybe, but don't scare him off yet." Cass replies, still laughing as she walks over to her lover. "What? It's not my fault! We haven't had a good wedding in a long time!" Johnny shouts after her, laughing when she sends him a glare.

"So, have you looked in any of these boxes, Johnny?" Tommy asks, sternly changing the subject of conversation. "What would I be doing looking at car parts, Tom? I haven't even got a car." Johnny retorts, groaning when he lifts another crate. "Right. Of course." Tommy retorts, looking over to his sister who's laughing with Alfie.

Tommy knows that Alfie is a good match for Cass. He brings out her more spontaneous spirit that he still wishes he had. She was always more in touch with her gypsy side than he was. He just hopes that Alfie can handle it.

~AN~ Hi guys! I'm so sorry it took me so long to update! I've just started a new full time job and it's taking a lot out of me. Hope you're all well and still enjoying the story. I'll update whenever i can. :) <3