Chapter 23 - Disappointment from all sides

"You're doing so good, Ada." Cass says gently as she wipes the sweat off her sister's forehead. "Fuck off!" Ada screams as another contraction hits her. "Seriously, Cass, I don't fucking want you here. Fuck off and do Tommy's bidding like you always do." She then says, causing Cass to freeze in shock. She looks towards Polly, hurt evident in her eyes. Polly just nods sadly before gesturing to the door.

Cass sighs and stands from her position, immediately being replaced by John's new wife. "I think it's the wrong way round, I attended three sisters." Esme says, which is the last thing Cassie hears before closing the door behind her.

She slowly walks down the street, her head hanging down, so people won't see the tears that are building in her eyes. Her and Ada have never got along, but she was hoping that the birth of her niece or nephew would bring them closer, especially if she was there to help. She's never felt more stupid for actually having hope.

When she walks through the doors of the Garrison, she sees Tommy and Grace talking at the bar and Arthur and John dancing around merrily. Tommy's smile drops as soon as he sees her. He walks over immediately. "What's wrong? What's happened? Are Ada and the baby ok?" he asks in a panicked tone. "Everything's fine." Cass replies bluntly. "No it's not. Come on." Tommy then says, pulling her into the snug.

"She didn't want me there. Her own sister." Cass says after a moment of silence, finally letting her tears fall. "What do you mean?" Tommy asks in confusion, his hands placed on her shoulders. "She told me to fuck off and do your bidding like I always do. I thought we were finally getting along. I thought this would bring us together." Cass reiterates with a sniffle, barely looking her brother in the eye. Tommy pulls her in for a tight hug, sighing in disappointment. "I'm sorry, Cass. I thought that too." He says softly, rubbing her back in an attempt to make her feel better.

~

It had been at least an hour since Cass had left the house, letting her sister have her baby without her there. Tommy had managed to calm her down, and she was now sat in a booth with Arthur and John. "Bloody hell. Martha didn't take this long give birth." John exclaims, slurring his words slightly. "Yeah, well Martha was a trooper, weren't she?" Arthur replies, slurring just as much as his brother. "Yeah. Do you remember when Ada had a fucking fit about breaking a nail? She complained about that for a bloody week." John replies, laughing when Arthur does. Cass can only bring herself to chuckle slightly.

"What about you, Cass?" Arthur then says after his laughter has died down. "What do you mean?" Cass says, furrowing her brows in confusion. "When are you gonna have kids?" Arthur reiterates. Cass lets out a dry laugh. "Not any time soon, brother." She says, sipping her drink. "You'll find someone eventually, Cass." John says with a cheeky grin. "Eventually." Cass repeats with a sigh.

As Arthur takes in a breath to say something else, the doors to the pub slam open, revealing a very angry and manic Polly. "It's a boy." She says bitterly, never taking her eyes off Tommy who turns with a smile. Cass stands as their aunt charges towards him, swinging her hand to slap him. "Pol! What the fuck are you doing?" John yells as he and Arthur hold her back. "It's a boy, but the police came and took his father away." Polly spits. If looks could kill, Cass knows Tommy would be six feet under.

Tommy's smile drops and his eyes show shock. "Don't you dare look at me like that. You will fucking fix what you've done, Thomas Shelby." Polly yells, pulling herself away from the boys and spitting towards Tommy's feet. "Pol, whatever you're thinking, I didn't do it. I've been with these all night, I swear." Tommy says sternly as their aunt turns to leave the pub, not bothering to reply.

Cass knows Tommy isn't the one who snitched on Freddie. He wouldn't do that. He's not the kind of person to go back on his word, let alone force a child be fatherless. Not after what happened to them. She turns to face Grace, who has an oddly smug look plastered across her face. She knew Grace couldn't be trusted, she just needs more proof. No one will believe her yet.