Chapter 27 - Opening up

"What happened to you?" Cass asks in shock when she sees the state of her oldest brother. "Nothing, Cass. Don't worry about it." Arthur replies bluntly, rearranging his collar to hide the rope marks. Cass immediately pulls his hands away, inspecting the bruises. "Are you fucking stupid?" She asks in a whisper as tears spring to her eyes. "I wasn't thinking, Cass. I'm so sorry." Arthur replies, also holding back tears. "You should be. Why the hell would you think that leaving us would make anything better?" Cass says, her anger growing. "I don't know." Arthur admits, finally releasing his sobs as he slides his arms around his sister's waist. Cass runs her hands through her brother's hair, letting a few tears fall from her eyes as she tries to comfort him.

The pair are pulled apart when the door opens. Tommy walks in with a serious yet bored expression on his face as he sets his eyes on Arthur. Cass slowly walks around the table and sits to observe. God knows what might happen between them.

Tommy steps closer to Arthur and moves his collar slightly to see the damage before placing a sympathetic hand on his shoulder. "Polly told you?" Arthur says darkly, never taking his reddened eyes off the fire. "Yeah." Tommy replies plainly, making Arthur nod. Tommy then sits next to him, pouring the three of them some tea that had been in the pot for a while. Cass tried her best not to cringe at the now cold beverage.

"You should have used a gun." Tommy says bluntly, breaking the silence the three siblings were in. "Tommy!" Cass gasps in shock at his words. "Are you laughing at me, Tommy?" Arthur says, trying his best to sound threatening. "Yeah." Tom replies, making his sister roll his eyes. "Just when things are starting to well, Arthur, you try and do this." He then says with a condescending smile. He quickly shoots his eyes to Cass, who looks dumbfounded, and mouths 'follow my lead'. Cass silently scoffs before nodding her head.

"Don't you like fancy parties? Or maybe champagne? Or fast cars?" Tommy lists off, getting closer to their brother each time he adds something new. "Or how about this?" he then says, reaching into his pocket for something. Cass's eyes furrow in confusion as Tommy pulls out a business card. "Shelby Brothers Limited?" Arthur asks as he reads the card. "That's your name on there, brother. I picked them up from the printers this morning." Tommy says proudly.

"You are one of three shareholders. Me, you, and John. It's written on the paperwork in black and white. A third, a third, a third." Tommy then goes on to explain, making Cass clear her throat. "I'm guessing I no longer exist." She says, raising an expectant eyebrow. "Maybe I can rethink the name." Tommy says with a thin-lipped smile. "Maybe you should." Cass threatens in reply, nodding and squinting her eyes. Arthur can't help but laugh. "The only problem is, Arthur, me and John quite fancy splitting your share. So maybe next time, use a gun." Tommy then jokes, laughing with his siblings.

~

"Cass, can I have a word?" Tommy says from the door of his office as his sister walks past. "I guess." Cass sighs as she walks past him and into the room, letting him close the door behind them. "So, what's up?" Cass says, making herself sound light-hearted and happy. "I just think we need to clear the air. I hate arguing with you." Tommy says with a sigh as he light a cigarette. "We haven't been arguing. You pushed me away, there's a difference." Cass retorts, her tone having suddenly changed. "I know, and I'm sorry." Tommy replies, stepping closer to her. "You should be." Cass says, crossing her arms over her chest.

Tommy can't help but chuckle at how stubborn she's trying to act. Both of them know he's forgiven, but Cass is trying to prove her point. "It won't happen again, and I'm fixing the situation with Ada. It's a slow process, but I have a plan." Tommy says, placing his hands on her shoulders. "Good. I knew you would, and I know it wasn't you that got us into this mess with her." Cass replies with a small smile before wrapping her arms around him for a hug, which he returns.

"So, we're good?" Tommy asks hopefully as they pull away from each other. "Yes. But I do think we should talk about something else." Cass says, biting her lip nervously. "Ok." Tommy says sceptically, inviting her to sit at his desk.

"So, you mentioned before about what I said the night of the fire. I don't wanna hide this from you anymore, Tom, and that's the only reason I'm telling you. I want you to listen to what I have to say and not throw a tantrum like you always do." Cass starts, looking him dead in the eye. "Ok, I won't." Tom says calmly, waiting patiently for his sister to finally be open with him. Cass takes a deep breath to prepare herself for what she is about to say. She's been keeping this a secret for almost 3 years, and she has no idea how he's going to react.

"When we were in France, I met a soldier. He was nice, and he cared for me a lot. I cared for him too. We were in a sort of relationship for about 2 years, but I haven't seen him since a few months before the war ended. I miss him a lot, and don't even know if he came home like we did. That's what I've been hiding from you. I'm sorry." Cass says, her eyes barely leaving the desk. She sits in silence as she waits for Tommy's reaction.

"Cass, I know. Well, I didn't fully know until now, but I sort of had an inkling. You've always worn your heart on your sleeve, and since we came home your heart's been broken. I don't know why you felt the need to hide this from me, but I can help you find him." Tommy says, causing Cass to look up at him in shock. "What?" She says, barely loud enough to comprehend. "I can help you find him, Cass. I know that's what you want." Tommy reiterates.

Another silence falls over them as Cassie considers her brother's offer. "What if he doesn't want to be found?" She says abruptly, her concerns outweighing the positives in her mind. "Wouldn't you at least feel better if you knew?" Tommy asks. "I don't know." Cass admits, looking down once more. "Well, why don't you think about it? I'm always here, you know. If you decide to find him, I can help. Ok?" Tommy offers, standing from his chair and walking towards her. "Ok." Cass replies plainly as she stands up.

Tommy pulls her in for a hug, sighing in relief when his sister returns the favour. "Thanks, big brother." She whispers into his chest. "Anytime." Tommy replies with a small smile, grateful to have her back.