Chapter 31 - Decisions

"Grace told me to meet her at the station. She wants me to run away to New York with her." Tommy says solemnly. Cass had come into his office 10 minutes prior, noticing that he was acting off. "What are you going to do?" Cass asks gently. "I don't know. I wrote her a letter." Tommy replies, waving the letter in the air. "It says that I'll have made my decision by Friday. I'm going to toss a coin." He adds, noticing the look of worry on his sister's face. "That was always a good way to figure out if you actually wanted something when we were growing up. Do you think it's going to work the same way?" Cass says with a small smile. "I hope so." Tommy replies bluntly, staring down at his glass of whiskey.

"Well, whatever you choose I will support you. If you go, I will look after everyone. I promise." Cass says after a moment of silence. "I know you will, Cass. But that's not what's worrying me." Tommy says. "What is?" Cass asks nervously. "Who's going to take care of you?" Tommy replies with a small chuckle, making his sister sigh.

"I'll be fine, Tom." Cass tries to reassure. "You can't know that. I thought I had Grace to make me feel better about everything. Well, I did have her. But you have no one. I know we said that you'd think about looking for you soldier, but if I'm not around to handle everything you're not going to have the time." Tommy says, a sympathetic look on his face. "Tom, you can't choose between those. My love might be dead, but yours isn't. You have to focus on how you feel with Grace. I can't keep holding you back from everything." Cass says, making sure to keep eye contact with her brother make sure he's listening. "It's your decision. I can live without Alfred, but can you live without Grace?" She then says, leaving the pair in a thick silence.

Cass knows how Tommy feels about Grace, she can read him like a book. She knows he will struggle without an anchor, but she's been managing fine. Her search for Alfred can wait, but this choice can't. He has to do what's best for him.

"Look, I can't tell you what to do, but you have to promise me that you will focus on yourself for a change. Whatever the coin says, or how you feel about the outcome, you have to focus on what you want. Ok?" Cass then says, a stern yet hopeful look in her eye. "Ok, I promise." Tommy says with a sigh. That's all she needed to hear.

~AN~ Well, that's the end of season one. I can't believe it! Sorry this was a shorter chapter than usual, I just love the relationship between Cass and Tommy and wanted to include her in this scenario. I'll be updating as soon as I can, but I would like to have all the chapters written before I publish them otherwise I'll end up with writers block and there will be a very long wait for updates – although, they won't all be published at the same time. I'll try and write them as quickly as possible. Also, I'm going on holiday for a week so i won't be writing anything until I come back.

Hope you're enjoying the story so far and will continue to read when the next parts are up. Please leave any feedback. Thanks 😊