Chapter 18 - Numb

"Are you gonna talk to me about what the fucks been going on with you lately?" Tommy says sternly as he and Cass walk around Small Heath. "What do you mean?" she asks, faking confusion. She knows exactly what he's talking about, and he knows she's not going to talk about it. "Your dreams are getting worse. And your episodes after them. And don't think I've forgotten about what you said the night of the fire." Tommy says, his voice getting colder the more he speaks. "What do you want me to say, Tom? I'm dealing with it the only way I know how to. By carrying on. I'm not Arthur, alright? I can still do everything just like you can." Cass says, her frustration growing.

Tommy goes to say something else, but their conversation is cut short as about 20 men run past them excitedly. "Tommy!" John yells from behind them, making Cass let out a breath of relief at the rescue of her younger brother. "What the hell's been happening?" Tommy asks casually, falling into step with his two younger siblings. "The coppers just raided a rally in one of the factories. You think Freddie Thorne's back? Sounds like something he'd do." John replies, ignoring the obvious tension between Tommy and Cassie. "We know he is, and he's with Ada." Cass says, trying her best to sound normal. "How hard it be to find the only girl in Birmingham with four-inch heels?" Tommy says. "Woman." Cass says, squinting her eyes at the jab.

"She's with the commies. They have their little rat holes all over the place. Makes them harder to find." John says, trying to break the tension. "I just wanna know where she is." Tommy says in a bored tone, as if they've had this conversation before. "Tommy, by the way, you need to talk to Arthur." John then says, pulling them to a stop. "What's bloody wrong with Arthur?" Tommy says with an annoyed expression. "He's got the Flanders blues again." John replies, causing Tommy to sigh and walk away from them without another word.

"You doing alright, Cass?" John then says with a small smile as he offers his arm for his sister to take. "I'm ok. How about you? How are the kids? I didn't mean to scare them the other day." Cass replies, placing her arm in John's elbow as they continue to walk. "They're good. You didn't scare them, they didn't understand what was going on. Scared the shit out of me, though." John replies, trying to joke but failing. "I'm sorry, brother." Cass says quaintly, biting her lip and looking straight ahead as they get closer to the house.

~

Later on, Polly and Cass are sat in the living room. Finn has fallen to sleep on Cass's lap, leaving them in a comfortable silence ever since. Polly knows what Cass wants to say and is grateful that she doesn't have to. She watched her niece as she strokes the hair out of Finn's face with a small smile. Oh, to be a child again. To not be burdened with constant worry, and only live in the moment. Cassie was like that before she went to France, even though she had grown into a beautiful young woman. She followed her gypsy heart, and Polly admired her for it. Now, however, Polly can see that the carefree gypsy side to her niece has faded. The war broke her heart and her will to feel free. That's what breaks Polly's heart.

The two women are startled when Tommy walks into the room. Cass pulls her finger to her lips with a silent shush towards her brother. No one wants to deal with a cranky, barely awake Finn. Pol eyes Tommy as he wants more into the room. He looks troubled, like always.

He sits on the stool in front of them, downs the rest of both of their drinks, and pinches the bridge of his nose before pulling a stack of money out of his pocket with an expectant look towards his aunt. "Freddie didn't want your money. And now the coppers are saying that if we don't turn Freddie in, they're going to send Ada down as well. That's where compassion gets you, Pol. From now on, we do it my way." He says in a dark tone, one that Cassie is getting sick of. He can't just walk around threatening everybody he knows because he doesn't agree with their strategies.

"Or what?" Polly says menacingly. She knows exactly what she's doing and how to handle Tommy when he's like this. Tommy just sighs and walks out of the room. He knows he can't win against his aunt, but he's never going to stop trying. This is his business now, and she needs to understand that.

Cass can't help but yawn as she looks back down at her baby brother – who's now no longer a baby. "Why don't you go and get some rest, love? I'll sort Finn out." Polly says gently, sending Cass a sympathetic smile. "Alright, Pol. Night." Cass sighs tiredly before shifting under Finn's weight and leaving the room. She might actually be able to get a full night's rest with how tired she's feeling. All she can do is hope.