Prelude - Birthday wishes

"Happy birthday Aunty Cass!" Katie yells as she barges into Cass's bedroom. "Happy birthday!" Frank, Ben, and Lily all say out of breath as they follow their sister into the room. "Thank you!" Cass says excitedly as she embraces them all in one giant hug. "Oh, I thought we were going to wake you up." Ben whines in annoyance, making his aunt laugh. "Maybe next year, ey?" Cass says with a smile. "Come on! We have presents for you downstairs!" Lily says, taking Cass's hand and dragging her out of the room. It was lucky that Cass has expected something like this to happen so was already dressed.

When the group enter the kitchen, a loud cheer erupts from Arthur and John. "There's the birthday girl!" Polly says happily, hugging her oldest niece. "What are we doing to celebrate?" Katie asks, her excitement waring the adults out already. "Well, it's a lovely day. How about a picnic?" Cass replies, making all the children cheer and clap their hands.

"Do you really think Tommy is gonna come for a picnic?" John asks, raising his eyebrows with a smirk. "There's only one way to find out." Cass shrugs innocently before making her way out of the kitchen and into the betting shop.

A few of the men wish her a happy birthday as she passes, which she thanks them for before entering Tommy's dark office. "What the hell are you doing sitting in the dark?" Cass says cheerfully as she pulls the blinds up, letting in the sunlight for what appears to be the first time in days. "I guess I never noticed." Tommy says, squinting his eyes whilst they still adjust.

"Well, today is your day off. You're coming with us for a picnic." Cass says, placing her hands on her hips with a playful smile on her face. "What's so special about today that we need to go on a picnic?" Tommy says bluntly. "Did you really forget? Again?" Cass sighs, disappointment clear on her face. "Of course I didn't, I just wanted to see how you would react." Tommy replies with a smirk. "Idiot." Cass laughs.

~

Cass lays back on the grass, soaking in the sunshine. Her ears are filled with the laughter of John's kids as they run around the open space of the field. It's not very often they all get to spend time together anymore, so she's basking in the opportunity before it leaves.

John and Arthur are sat to her left, joking about Arthur's latest conquest that he managed to persuade into bed, Tommy is sat on her right, constantly refilling her glass so she can 'celebrate properly' in his opinion, and Polly is trying her best to run around with the children, so they don't hurt themselves. She knew Ada wouldn't be there. They're still not exactly where Cass wanted to be in their relationship, but she's slowly learning to get over it.

"So, Cass, 29. Just one more year until it all goes downhill." John says, pulling his sister from her happy daze. "That's right, Cass. You've only got one good year left. Let's hope you can finally get settled down, ey?" Arthur adds, laughing when Cass sends him a glare. Obviously the two don't know about her search for Alfred, and she'd like to keep it that way for as long as possible. "Come on, boys. Don't tease her on her special day." Polly says from behind them, trying to catch her breath. "Alright, alright. We'll tease her tomorrow." John says, bursting into laughter with Arthur.

"Aunty Cass! You have to blow out your candles!" Frank says excitedly as he and his siblings carefully bring a very large chocolate cake over. "And you have to make a wish!" Lily says, almost scolding her younger brother for forgetting. "Ok." Cass says with a laugh as she sits up and crosses her legs.

Everyone watches as she closes her eyes for a second before blowing out the candles on the cake. "Yay!" All the kids cheer before running off to continue their game. "So, Cass, what did you wish for?" Tommy asks with a grin. "Oh, nothing. Don't tell the kids though." She replies with a cheeky smile and a wink, making her brothers and aunt laugh.

Truth be told, she did make a wish. There was only one wish that she could make, and it was the same one every time she had the opportunity to make one since the war. To find her Alfred.