Chapter 22 - Surprise?

The large group of Peaky men are walking up towards where the Lees have made camp. "Tommy. What are you doing? We're in shooting range." John says. "Don't worry, brother. Nobody will be getting shot today." Tommy replies before bringing the group to a halt. "Right then, John. There's one more thing you need before we go into battle." Tommy starts as the group all pull flowers from their pockets to pin to the lapel of their blazers. "What's going on?" John asks. "Before we go into battle, there is to be a wedding." Arthur says as he pins John's flower to him. "Who's?" John asks cautiously. "Yours." Tommy says bluntly.

John immediately tries to run away but is held in place by his brothers. "I'm not marrying some fucking mushroom picker!" John screams. "John! Don't be so rude." Cass says as she walks over to the group of men, wearing a flowy purple dress. "John. Look at me." She continues as she places her hands either side of John's face to keep eye contact. "We're doing this for you, ok? Your kids need a mother, she needs a husband, and we need peace." She says in a calming tone. "And John..." Tommy starts, "If this doesn't happen a mighty war will break out that will make the Somme look like a fucking tea party." He says before releasing his younger brother, watching his sister grimace at the thought.

John takes a moment to think about his options before straightening his suit jacket and walking towards the camp. Tommy and Cassie share a look of relief before following their brother's direction. John walks towards the Gypsy queen who is looking him up and down. "Will he do?" Tommy says to her. "He'll do." she smirks before leading the group to where the ceremony is being held.

~

As the newlyweds kiss, the crowd erupt in cheers. Throughout the afternoon, leading to the evening, there is lots of drinking and dancing. Tommy is sat away from the crowds with Polly. "It's a good thing you did for your brother, Tom. I'm proud of you." She says, taking another sip of her drink. "It wasn't me, Pol. It was all Cass. It was her idea." Tommy replies, looking towards his sister who is currently dancing with Arthur and smiling like there's no tomorrow. She hasn't looked this happy in a while. "She's a smart one, that girl. Might even be smarter than you." Polly jokes, causing Tommy to smirk in her direction.

After a few moments of comfortable silence between the two, they are joined by Ada. "You know, I haven't seen Cassie or Arthur smile like that in ages." She says, looking over to her siblings. "I know. It's wonderful." Polly replies, making sure to stroke her niece's swollen belly before letting her continue to dance.

~

About an hour later, Cass has worn herself out and is now sat with Tommy. She still hadn't fully recovered from the illness. "Oh brother, I'm so glad this went well." She beams. "Me too." He replies before hesitating to say something else. The pair of them stare into the large fire which the Lees had built for warmth. "You know, Cass, I am truly grateful for everything you have done. Everything. I'm so proud of you." Tommy says, implying what she did for the war as well. "Thanks, Tom." His sister replies as she rests her head on his shoulder.

~

"Ada's pretty drunk." Cass then says, concern written all over her face. "Well, she's been stuck in that basement for weeks. She's bound to go off like a firecracker." Polly replies, matching her niece's concern. "You should say something to her, Tom." Cass says, turning to her brother. "What makes you think she'll listen to me? She's barely spoken to me all day." Tommy replies bluntly with an unamused look.

The three watch for a few more moments, noticing how close Ada is getting to the fire. She might as well throw herself on it. "Oh Christ!" Cass exclaims. "Tommy, please." Polly pleads, prompting her nephew and walk towards his youngest sister with Cass in tow.

"Come on, Ada. Why don't you have a rest?" Tommy says calmly, trying to catch his sister's flailing arms. "Come and look at this, Esme! Look at the family you've joined." Ada starts to yell, clearly frustrated. "Ada, calm down." Cass tries to reason with her. "Shut up, you! You're no better than him!" Her sister yells, jabbing her in the chest before throwing her hand towards her brother. "This family is rotten. Choosing people's wives for them, trying to kill their brother-in-law, forcing people into this fucking life, and now they won't even let me fucking dance!" Ada continues her rant, trying her best to pull away from Tommy's grip.

"Will someone shut her up?" John says as he joins the group, holding his new wife's hand. "Ada, just come a rest for a bit, ey? You've had a lot to drink." Cassie says, taking one of Ada's hands. Cass can't help but gasp in pain as Ada's grip suddenly tightens an ungodly amount. "Holy shit, water." Polly says, looking down between her niece's legs. "Bloody hell, Ada. You do pick your times." Arthur says, which Cass hopes is a joke. "Come on, to the cars." Tommy says as he rounds the family up.