Poisoned: Cassian x reader

A/N: this mentions drugging/ poisoning if that bothers you please skip! (That's probably obviously by the title, but I'm just making sure everyone is aware)

Parties to welcome new alliances were something you never had taken part in, but tonight was special because the inner circle had struck a deal with a small independent island nation. They needed better resources for their people, the inner circle needed ships. For what? You weren't really sure. You assumed it was just something they acquired "just in case" they needed to sail.

Rhys and Feyre were holding a good faith celebration at the riverside estate to welcome them. You were staring at yourself in the mirror as your mate Cassian dressed in the bedroom.

"Y/N, Ready to get going?" He called.

"Hush Cassian, I'm just putting my shoes on." You laughed lightly, slipping on your flats.

He came up behind you and wrapped his arms around your waist. "I wish I could rip this off of you." He mumbled, kissing your neck.

"You're so horny."

"With someone as stunning as you by my side, how could I not be?"

You gently hit his chest and moved out of his grasp. "Who's making us late now?"

You went downstairs and Mor was waiting to winnow you to the main house. "Are they there yet?"

"They're running a bit late, I doubt anyone will say anything as long as we're there before they are."

You each took an arm and suddenly the riverside estate came into view. "There you two are!" Feyre smiled. "We were just about to start betting on who would get here first."

You just embraced her warmly. "What goes on that these things exactly?"

"Consider it just a glorified fancy party. Nothing special really. At least that's what Rhys said because I don't remember the last time I had to do this."

"Is someone bringing them in or are they walking here?"

"Tarquin. Amren invited him just to get at Varian, but it really did work in our favor." Mor explained, grabbing a wineglass off of the refreshments table. "We have a few more people coming and they of course have their group. It should be interesting."

You smiled but squeezed your hands out in front of you. You despised large gatherings. Cassian sensed your unease and settled a hand on the small of your back like an anchor. You knew he would stay close if you asked.

You were his vice. He was a naturally outgoing and talkative person and you were his foil. Your power levels and skills complimented each other to perfection, but your personalities were another story.

As Tarquin appeared with the group of your new allies and then left to escort some familiar faces into the venue, your heart raced.

But you smiled through it. You mingled with Feyre beside you and then with Mor carrying the majority of conversation. Cassian worked the room in under an hour, making everyone laugh and keeping things rather joyous.

You were so focused on not dropping your facade that he startled you. You just laughed it off as worry flashed in his gaze. "Oh darling, I didn't see you coming."

His concern was washed away and his mischievous smirk took its place. "You seem to be having fun. I'm glad."

He was trying to see if you'd lie to him. You did. "Yes, everyone has been very nice."