Chapter eight:

Tina's POV

We walked hand in hand, Newt leading me.

We stopped outside a restaurant and Newt said "is this place alright,Tina?"

" yes Newt, thank you "

A waiter told us to take a seat and that he'd be over for our order in a few minutes.

He let go of my hand and sat down. I sat opposite him.

Newt picked up the menu and I looked at him watching his eyes go from left to right. I could watch him forever. He's so handsome and sweet and cute and kind and lovely. I find it hard to believe that we are doing what I always imagined but thought never would happen. And tonight I meet his parents! Men usually ask that when it's getting serious! My heart sped up and my tummy fluttered.We really might get married!! I will always love him anyway even if he doesn't want to marry me, I know that. So I really hope he does.

He cleared his throat " Tina? "

"Yes?"
" what would you like? "

" erm do they have erm. "

"Here have a look?" He passed the menu to me.

I looked down the list, shocked. wow it's so expensive! I can't let him pay for all that!

I looked for the cheapest option: teacake with jam. Well, not exactly lunch. The next cheapest: jacket potato with cheese and salad.

"I'll have the jacket potato with cheese and salad. "

"You sure Tina?"

I nodded.

"Ok. What about a drink? "

"Erm water? "

"You can't just have water, Tina. Er share a teapot with me?"

" Erm. "

"What is it?"

" I don't really like tea. "

" Oh. Well what about coffee or cocoa? "

" coffee, please Newt, if you can afford it. "

" of course, I can pay for it, Tina, you're my girlfriend. Erm excuse me."He called to the waiter.

" can I help you? " the waiter asked.

" Yes erm can I have two jacket potatoes with cheese and salad, please. Thank you. oh and a coffee for two please. "

"Of course.Thank you. That all?"

" Yes please. " he walked away.

" you are having the same as me! "

" yes. Is that okay? "

" of course but surely you need more to eat than a jacket potato ? "

"Usually but we are going to have a meal cooked by my mum in 4 hours and she cooks to feed an army so.."

I opened my mouth to respond but he continued saying " and anyway I could have said the same about you. I mean you need more than just a potato too. "

"Okay fair point" I smiled.

"Um Tina?"

" Yes? "

"Are you okay with meeting my parents?"

" yes Newt.... But a little scared. "

" why? "

" what if they don't like me? What if they think I'm not good enough for you? What if they don't approve of us living in the same house? "

" it will all be fine Tina. They will love you and you are too good for me and..... "

" yes? " and what Newt?

"They don't know that we live together" he whispered.

"They don't? Oh dear ."

" don't worry Tina they'll understand about Queenie and
that I couldn't leave you out on the streets and anyway we don't live alone. "

" yeah I suppose "

He took my hands " it will all be okay. But you don't have to meet them today if you do not want to and don't feel obliged to answer all my parents' questions especially my mum's, not that she asks all the personal questions but she asks the most, so yeah that's what I mean. "

" it's ok Newt, I understood. "

" Oh"

" Here are your coffees, potatoes just coming up. "

"Thank you" we said in unison.

"By the way Newt I would like to meet them " I smiled. " I would love to! "

He grinned happily as we sipped our coffees.

Oh he doesn't like coffee but he's hiding it! Why did he not say thst?! Or order a different drink? I can see the grimace on his face each time he swallows although he tried to hide it.

The waiter brought our potatoes and we tucked in.

He got a piece of grated cheese on his cheek and I reached over but couldn't reach his face so stood up.

" what are you doing? " he asked.

" you've got something on your... " I stopped remembering when he said that.

He wiped his face with his hand.

" you missed a bit. " I walked over to him. He stood up." here. " I said wiping his face with my hand. When I went to take my hand away he held it and said " Tina... You're so beautiful. "

"No I'm not "

"Yes you are" he whispered squeezing my hand that was still on his face and then kissing it.

My hearts going so fast and he looks so handsome and I feel warm and fuzzy. I can't believe I found him: someone to call my own someone so loving and caring and brave and talented.

Before I knew it he had leant in and kissed me his arm around me. I kissed him back, eyes closed, the happiest I'd ever felt around him. Then pulled away to hug him tightly eyes closed again.

Into my mind's eye came the image of him leaning in to kiss me in a suit with me in a white dress and him grinning and beaming the biggest smile I'd ever seen him do and then I saw a little girl in a cot with his ginger hair and my eyes holding a stuffed Niffler toy while Newt and I looked at her, smiling, with tears in our eyes, and arms around one another.
That would be a dream come true.