Chapter fifteen:

Theseus and Jacob sat in the kitchen waiting for the others to get up. Bunty arrived and went down to feed the creatures. Nagini came in yawning. "Where are Newt and Tina?" she asked.

"Still asleep" Theseus answered.

"we think" added Jacob.

"Should I knock on Tina's door?"

"I guess so" Theseus said.

She knocked on the door "Tina? Newt? you still asleep?" she heard a sob.

Slowly, she opened the door and saw a red eyed Tina with dark rims under her eyes, closing the lid on a full case. The room was almost empty of everything except furniture.

"What happened Tina?" 

Tina couldn't answer. She pushed her way into the kitchen, dragging the heavy bag along. "Tina, what's up honey?" asked Jacob. She grabbed a hot croissant from the plate on the table and looked at her watch: 11.30.

"Tina? tell us." Theseus probed.

"I'm going." she responded.

"where?" asked Jacob.

"she's been promoted to head auror" responded Theseus.

"That's awesome but.. " 

Jacob hugged her as she burst into loud sobs.

"What is it?"

"I'm sorry Theseus."

"What do you mean?" 

".........ask Newt." she said, finally.

"Don't tell me... no you didn't... don't tell me that.. you can't have!"

"What's she done?" Jacob asked as Tina pulled out of the hug to eat some more.

Theseus happened to be looking at the door.

"Newt!" 

He stood there awkwardly and brushing his hair away from his face, they noticed his also red eyes with dark rims under them. Then before they could say anything, Newt saw Tina and said " oh, I... didn't realise. I'll just go." and he left to go back down to the basement, tears in his eyes. 

"you didn't Tina?!" said Jacob.

She nodded, sobbing.

" Well, go after him!" she shook her head.

"Will someone tell me what is going on?" Asked Nagini.

"we split up" Tina finally confirmed.

"You what?!?" all three shouted.

"You must be out of your mind! Whose idea was that?!" Jacob cried out.

She just sobbed and cried loud tears. Nagini hugged her.

"You can't tell me it was Newt's?" Theseus said.

"Yeah I never could believe that either. You know as well as I that he says things he don't mean!" Jacob said.

"Tina, you promised you wouldn't hurt Newt." 

"Theseus can't you see she's upset? Give her a minute... And what about Newt?" Nagini said.

"Oh...I'll go" Jacob said and left the room.

Theseus and Nagini sat Tina down and waited patiently for her to calm down. 

"I.. I never...I never meant to hurt him."

"What happened, love?" Asked Nagini.

She gathered herself, then took a deep breath, and remembering the time hurried out: "I told him I was gonna leave, he was so proud of my promotion, then said he'd wanna come with me and I said no. Then he realised it was today, you know that I go, and he was upset and I said he couldn't come cos it wouldn't be fair or right and he said he'd be happy anywhere if he was with me and I said he couldn't be and he thought I meant.. I meant..."