Chapter nine:

Newt's POV

Tina and I had our date earlier and now we are on our way to see my parents. We apparated nearby but have to walk about 2 miles due to protective enchantments. I am holding the case in one hand and her hand in the other.

Our date felt like the most normal thing in the world except obviously better. I mean I feel so comfortable around Tina that it felt a completely normal experience and I could easily get used to eating with her every day. Well, probably not eating out but at home. It makes me realise that if I were to spend my life with anyone it would be with her. Anybody else and I wouldn't last two days. Tina completed me and has helped me connect with people like I never did before. Like Jacob for example. I feel sorry for him a lot as he is my best (male) friend and he is devastated to be without Queenie.

"What are you thinking of?"

" Jacob, Queenie, you "

"Oh" Oh no I made her sad thinking of Queenie!

"What about me are you thinking of?"

" how much I love you " hopefully that will distract her.

She blushed and whispered "I love you too"

"Well, it is through here." I said pushing some hanging vines apart with my case.

"Newt?"

" Yes? "

" will you always stay with me? Do you promise? "

" Yes.. Of course! " I stopped and looked into her eyes.

She is almost crying!

"We will see her again. We'll get her back."

" so you promise? Not to leave me? " her voice broke.

"I promise"

She breathed out heavily, and said " I couldn't bear it if you went too"

" I won't Tina, don't worry. come here. "

She fell into my arms sobbing. "It has always been us after our parents died. It was always supposed to be us. Now she left me.."

" ssshhh Tina. I'm here. And she thought it would mean she could marry Jacob. After all she knew you had me and she may have been jealous and thought it was unfair that she was unable to be with the one she loves. I'm not defending her I am just telling you what might have happened. She loves you too of course she does but she wants the kind of love that.. Well, that we share. And that Jacob and her shared and she will always love you and she will realise her mistake and will come home to you, and to Jacob because she loves you both. "

We stood for a moment in silence while her sobs stopped. She pulled out of the hug her arms on my waist.

"Do you really think she'll come home? "

"Yes but it won't be easy for her. After all she has Grindelwald controlling her but it will happen one day. I'm certain she will come back."

" thank you Newt"

"What for?"

" the words, the hug. I don't deserve you , Newt. You are too kind to me. I don't deserve you. I drove Queenie away. She wanted to be with Jacob but I said no! I drove her away. "

" you do deserve me and you may have upset her but she knew you were right deep down, I mean she knew you were just trying to help her and she knew you meant no harm and that you wouldn't want her to leave and that you understood what it felt like, I mean err... "

"What?"

" to have true love " I whispered.

She blushed red and said nothing.

Tina 's POV

Did he just say that he's my true love? Well I suppose he is. But what do I say ? I don't think he meant to say that. He's staring at the floor and has stepped backwards, embarrassed. He's tapping his feet as though he's longing for an answer.

"Newt."

" Yes"

"Look at me, come on, look at me."

I took his face in my hands lifting it up gently. He's got that look on his face again: the shocked/surprised look with mouth open and breath held.

I kissed him on the lips squeezing his cheeks with my hands and pulling away. He stood for a moment eyes closed then opening them, he put his hands on my shoulders and pulled me towards him and kissed me.

We pulled away grinning. "Tina.. I love you" he said.

"I love you more"

He smiled. "I can't believe someone as beautiful as you would love someone like me. Me who isn't--"

" whatever you're going to say, don't. You are very handsome and you are very caring and I love you so much. Don't put yourself down. "

He stood in silence for a moment as though thinking of some retort then thinking better of it he said "we need to go. Mum'll be waiting"

" ok, but we are continuing this later as you need to know how much I love you and you need to know that you are amazing and that I won't let you think badly of yourself. "

" well, I won't let you think badly of yourself. You say you don't deserve me. " he replied.

" and you say you don't deserve me. Ok we'll agree that we both deserve each other, deal? "

"Deal"

I laughed and he joined in. "Let's stop worrying about whether or not we deserve each other and realise that because we are together we obviously are good enough for each other. "

"Yes you're right Tina"

"Good" I smiled. "Let's go meet your parents."