Chapter eleven:

Emily took her son aside and said "I must talk to you before you leave." It was after breakfast the next morning and Newt and Tina were about to leave to go home.

"Um ok mother" he looked at Tina and smiled and Tina grinned back at him.

They went into the nearest room and shut the door behind them, leaving Tina waiting by the front door.

"So..."

" Newt you must marry her! "

" uh, who? "

" Tina of course, but I know you were pretending just then. "

"Uhhh" he sighed "Yes I was"

She smiled "I know"

Newt fidgeted and kept on opening his mouth to speak and then closing it again.

"You want to know why don't you?"

He looked up at his mother.

" I love her and you love her and she wants to marry you! ....... My advice is to propose as soon as possible! You may miss out on years when you could have been married. You know how it is at the moment, you know Theseus... " tears entered her eyes. She took a breath in. " he never had his chance.... But you do. "

Newt had been looking serious throughout this and then hesitantly hugged his mother.

"I miss Leta too" he whispered.

She cried into his shoulder before collecting herself and pulling away. "I know dear. I'm your mother. I've always known that you loved her.... I'm sorry but you've got to move on from it. You've got Tina now."

"mother I have moved on and I-- lo--like Tina more than I liked Leta... I just don't know whether I'm the right person for her. "

"You are!" ". .. I'm.......scared mother"

She looked kindly at him "Tina will say yes"

" but I want it to be perfect"

"It will be. Tina will love it no matter what."

He looked at her questionably.

"And I know that because I have never seen two people more in love than you and Tina. And anything you do makes her smile."

He blushed. "Thank you mother " he gave her another hug.

"I will try."

" Perfect. But please tell me when you ask her, don't just elope! "

New t looked at her as though he didn't care of they had a proper wedding or not but then when he saw her stern look he said " oh alright. We'll tell you but if Tina doesn't want a big wedding then we won't have a big wedding. We better go she's waiting. "

He left the room and looked for Tina " Tina? "

"Here" her voice came from the kitchen "I sat here while waiting" she said peeping she head round the door and going up to him.
She gave him a short hug.

" I'm sorry" he said.

"don't worry" she grinned and stared into his eyes.

Newt had recently been able to keep her gaze but because of his conversation with his mother he blushed and looked down.

"What's wrong?"

" oh, nothing " he said, embarrassed.

Tina looked at him worried but knew it was no good asking him again while they were still in front of Emily.

She changed the subject by saying "good bye Emily it was so wonderful to meet you!" and giving her a hug. " we must meet again"

"Yes come whenever you like, but bring my son with you! I hardly ever see him!"

" of course, Emily" she smiled "if I can manage to drag him away from his creatures."

" yes of course" she smiled.

"Where's father?" New t managed.

" at work. He said to say goodbye and that Tina was a wonderful lady and to not lose her like you lose all the good ones. "

Newt looked upset, and angry.

"He'll never lose me." Tina said fixing the situation.

Newt couldn't help but smile at her.

"Say bye from me" she asked Emily.

"Of course " she gave them both a hug and they left.

Once out of sight, Tina took Newt's hand and he looked at her.
She brought them to a stop.

"What was upsetting you earlier?you wouldn't look me in the eye?."

" uhh nothing "

" Newt. " she looked at him sternly but concerned.

" you can tell me anything. "

" it's just that she wants me to...She wants me to marry.... "

"Oh" she sighed letting go of his hand and almost crying. She turned to rush on ahead.

"Tina!" He called with a lump in his throat but she ignored him and went through the grass curtain.
He ran to catch her up and held in tightly to her waist from behind.

"You"

" what? " she said like she said when he said "or engaged"

" you, she wants me to marry you,  Tina" he managed.

She turned and said "oh..." A bit like when he said " with immense difficulty" she laughed.

She beamed " I want to marry you too.. But do you want to marry me? "

He stood shocked but the look on his face said "yes".

She hugged him tightly and said "I love you"