Ch 5

About twenty-four hours later, their connecting long-haul flight touches down at O.R. Tambo International Airport.

A few minutes before, Jon took the time to cross the aisle and wake up Mark. The individual bunks had allowed them to have their own time and space for the long flight. Mark had spent the first hour or two drinking. That wasn't a surprise. At some point, he turned on the in-flight entertainment, and shortly thereafter dozed off.

Once or twice, Jon had to cross the aisle to shake him and get him to roll over. He had been snoring so loudly that he was disturbing the other passengers.

At some point, Jon had nodded off. The flight attendant had let him sleep for a few minutes before lowering his chair for him into the laying position. He woke up maybe an hour later and wasn't sure exactly where he was.

It reminded Jon of being a kid again. All of those times he would fall asleep in the car or on the couch and wake up in bed. It was like a magical teleportation. This time he hadn't moved that far, but he fell to sleep sitting up in a "chair" working, and woke up laying down in a "bed" covered with a blanket.

But, there was work to be done. Jon flagged down a flight attendant and asked for some coffee. He found his laptop and moved the seat back up to the sitting position and got back to work. After finishing the last of the papers that needed grading, and a couple sets of tests, Jon had checked his watch and realized that there was still 10 hours of flight time left.

Finally, Jon settled in for an actual nap. He laid the seat back down, set an alarm, and dozed off.

When he woke back up, the flight attendants were moving around the cabin, more than when he fell asleep. He was able to grab some food and a drink.

He had all but forgotten that Mark was there honestly, until Mark snored himself awake and sat up. He was awake just long enough to order a drink, finish it, and then roll over and go back to sleep. Jon continued to double check his presentation.

It was quite the journey over all. But now, they are in Johannesburg.