Ch. 17

"So, this is a real thing?" Jon asks.

"Well, real is relative I suppose," Mark answers, "but it's real to them."

Mark had spent about ten minutes explaining the Mandela Effect to Jon. Jon had tried to understand, but it seemed crazy to him.

"To them?" Jon asks, "How many people believe this?"

"I dunno if there is an official number," Mark answers, "a few hundred–"

"That doesn't seem like a convincing argument to me," Jon chuckles.

"Thousand," Mark finished, "a few hundred thousand."

Jon's mouth fell open.

"I'm not trying to convince you," Mark smirks, "I'm just saying it was interesting. The picture aside, the fact that she thinks Nelson Mandela died in prison. That's what got me going."

"But, it's not just Mandela," Jon says.

"No," Mark continues, "Look, I'm not an expert. I only remember seeing something online about the Berenstein bears – "

"Or Berenstain bears," Jon interrupts.

"Exactly," Mark says, "and that led me down a rabbit hole to this Mandela Effect thing. I don't remember the intricacies."

"Hmmm," Jon thinks it over, "maybe worth looking into more."

"I just provide the information," Mark argues, "you do with it what you will."

Mark gulps down the remainder of his coffee and looks at his watch.

"Well," he continues, "we have about an hour before presentations begin."

Jon looks at his own watch and grimaces, "Ugh, yea. I guess I better get a shower and try to be at least a little presentable."

"That's all you can hope for," Mark jokes, "a little presentable."

"I hear ya," Jon jokes back, "don't get too sloshed before lunch."

Mark gestures over his shoulder towards the waitress, "I'll worry about the bartender, you worry about the hostess."

Jon stands, "that's enough of that! And definitely don't say anything in front of her."

"I doubt I'll have the opportunity," Mark says, "but my lips are sealed."

Jon shakes his head, "Alright, I'll see you up there."

The waitress arrives with another Irish coffee for Mark.

"If you make it, that is," Jon finishes.

Mark waves him off. Jon turns and heads for the elevator. Pulling out his phone, he opens up an internet browser and searches for "The Mandela Effect".