Ch. 16

"Well, look what the cat dragged in," a voice calls across the lobby.

Jon turns towards it, and sees Mark sitting at a café style table outside of a restaurant in the lobby. A cup of coffee sits on the table and the New York Times is splayed in front of him. Jon smirks and pauses before turning back and heading that direction.

"Wait a second," Mark says when he gets closer, "did I just bust you getting back to the hotel? Like, since last night?"

Jon puts his hands on the chair across from Mark. He looks at the table.

"Can I get a coffee too?" Jon asks.

"You son of a bitch," Mark laughs closing his paper, "walk of shame!"

Jon sits at the table and leans back against the chair.

"Yea ,well," Jon manages, motioning to the waitress.

"Wait though," Mark chuckles, "you probably don't want one of these."

Jon reaches over and picks up the cup from the table. Bringing the cup to his nose, he takes a sniff.

"Irish coffee?" Jon asks.

"Breakfast of champions," Mark exclaims, "so was it a local? Or did you guys just go to another hotel?"

"Mark," Jon starts, "I don't want to..."

"Had to be a local," Mark continues to himself, "you have no reason to worry about getting caught."

The waitress appears with a cup of coffee for Jon and places it in front of him.

"Unless she did?" Mark asks across the table, "Oh Jon, you naughty boy."

The waitress gives him a look. Jon smiles at her and she walks away.

"It wasn't someone at the conference," Jon says.

"Ahhh," Mark smirks, "so it was a local. I guess I shouldn't be surprised."

Jon raises his eyebrow at Mark, "Why is that exactly?"

"You're a local too," Mark answers, "I mean kind of."

Jon continues to stare at him.

"I just mean," Mark continues, "I saw you with the girl at the front desk..."

Jon looks away.

"Oh. My. God." Mark exclaimed, "it was the front desk girl."

"Whaaat?" Jon says, "I have no idea what you're talking about."

"You dog!" Mark laughed, "I always thought they were like strippers..."

Mark trailed off and Jon raised his eyebrow.

"Pretending to be into you just to be accommodating," Mark explained.

Jon smiles and takes a sip from his coffee cup. He looks over the rim of the cup at Mark. Mark looks back at him mouth agape.

"I'm not saying anything," Jon says.

"Oh man," Mark says, "the help? Wow."

"She's not the help," Jon argues, "she works here, yes, but she's also a person."

"I know, I know," Mark said, "I hear you. You're the hero. It's fine."

Mark picks up his cup and takes a gulp of the coffee.

"So," Mark asks, "It's been a crazy couple of days for you, huh?"

"Oh," Jon chuckles, sipping his own coffee, "You have no idea."