Ch. 25

Jon walks around the corner at the end of the block and the park comes into view. The day is cold and the wind blustery, but the park isn't exactly empty.

Jon hasn't been to the park at that hour, but it seems like the few people there are regulars. With the trees bare and the fountain off, there isn't much to draw people there. Jon crosses the street and enters the park under a metal archway. He continues down the sidewalk towards the dry fountain. As he walks, he looks for someone wearing a black hoodie but doesn't see anyone.

Finally, he arrives at the fountain. He walks one circuit around, again looking for his contact, but he doesn't see him.

"Figures," Jon mutters under his breath, jamming his hands into his coat pockets.

Jon checks his watch and realizes he may be a little early. He looks around and tries to pick a bench with views of all three entrances to the park. Walking over, he unslings his bag and places it on the bench. He looks around once more before sitting down.

A few minutes pass. Jon checks his watch again. TheTruth is apparently not punctual. Jon chuckles at his glibness. For the first time, he thinks about being late to work, late when he promised Mark he'd be there. He pulls out his phone to call in to the school.

At that moment, a large black case swings over the back of the bench and slams down onto the seat. Jon jumps and looks around. Quickly, a figure bounds over the back of the bench and settles into the seat at the end of the bench, on the other side of the black case. He's looking the other way, but Jon can identify the black hoodie.

"Jesus Christ," Jon says to the hooded figure.

He turns to face Jon. He's wearing a ski mask over his face, under the hoodie, and sunglasses hide his eyes. Jon looks down his body. The hoodie is open, but there is a black t-shirt under it. He's wearing black leather gloves over his hands. Further down, he's wearing a pair of dark jeans and black combat boots.

Jon realizes that he's been using the male pronouns in his inner monologue, but he can't tell that the figure is male. He can't tell his race or ethnicity. To Jon, he's just a blank.

"Case," the figure says.

"Case?" Jon asks.

The figure points at the cell phone in Jon's hand. Jon looks down. He'd forgotten that he was holding the cell phone.

"Case," the figure says again.

Jon turns off the phone, "Ok."

The figure reaches around and pops two locks on the side of the case facing Jon. He pulls open the lid.

Inside, the case is layered. Jon can make out some foam and rubber with what looks like chickenwire and aluminum foil between it. The center of the case, much smaller than the actual size of the case itself, is hollow. Jon tosses his phone inside.

The figure scoots to the end of the bench and slides the case towards him. He opens the case slightly wider.

"Everything," the figure says.

Jon doesn't understand.

The figure points at Jon's laptop bag. Jon picks it up and lays it inside the case as well.

The figure points at Jon's watch. Jon sighs, but unlatches the watch and tosses it inside as well.

The figure looks him up and down. Jon leans back and opens his coat. He can't see the figure's eyes, but he can almost feel them looking him up and down. Starting to understand the motivation, Jon lifts his shirt.

The figure nods. He closes the case and latches it shut. Grabbing the handle, he whips the case off the bench and sits it on the ground between them. He slides back closer to Jon.