Chapter 70

About ten minutes later, the vehicle left the main roadway, turning down a tree-lined drive. They traveled down a few hundred feet before they reached a simple arm barrier gate. The driver talked briefly to a man in the guard booth. Quickly, the arm came up. The vehicle continues forward, moving through smaller and smaller paths.

"Where are we?" Jon asks.

"This is," Wolfe explained, "De Hoge Veluwe National Park. More specifically, the Schaarsbergen gate and area."

"National Park," Jon started, "does that mean something else in Dutch? Different from English, or I guess different from the US?"

"No," Wolfe says plainly, "it's very much the same thing."

There was a moment of silence before Jon says, "Ok. I'm confused."

"Wait just a moment more..." Wolfe answers, looking out the front glass.

Jon was left counting the seconds with no answer. Then, suddenly, Wolfe says, "here we go."

On the right side of the car, a square brick plain building appeared out of the trees. If non-descript had a photo definition, it would be this building: other than the location deep in the trees.

"Here?" Jon asks, "what is this place?"

"Well, it's a national park now," Wolfe explains, "but in 1940, a small base here was expanded by the occupation forces."

"The Nazis?" Jon asks.

"Bingo," Wolfe responded, "After the war, the Dutch decommissioned the entire site. It had been damaged extensively by the Allies, first during Market Garden, and then again as they made their way through the low countries to the Rhineland."

"Ok?" Jon asks confused.

"But," Wolfe continues, "a private group purchased some of the land and the mining rights to the entire area. Additionally, they promised to keep this office building as a monument to the base that was once here."

"The Organization," Jon says aloud.

"Exactly," Wolfe answers, "and the mining rights..."

Jon interjected, "keep anyone from digging on the property."

"You got it," Wolfe smiled.

"Do the Dutch even know that there is a bunker down there?" Jon asks.

"Bunker?" Wolfe smiled sarcastically, "who says anything about a bunker?"

"Didn't that sign back at the entrance?" Jon chuckles.

"Oh, yea," Wolfe chuckles, "but they mean this building. It's reinforced which is why it's still standing. As for anything else..."

"Right," Jon acknowledged the unsays.

The vehicle pulled up to the brick facade of the building and stopped.

"And the building is even open for tours!" Wolfe added.

"Hiding in plain sight," Jon nodded, "just like everything else The Organization does."

"Something like that," Wolfe agreed, then turning to the driver and says, "We'll be an hour or two."

"Yes, sir," the man replied.

Wolfe grabbed the door handle and opened it. He hopped out and gestured for Jon to follow him. Jon scooted over and hopped out.

The door was already unlocked and Wolfe just gave the door a pull. It opened easily, despite its apparent size and weight. He held it open as he passed through; Jon followed him in.

The interior of the building was dated. Disrepair wasn't the right description. It looked worn and used, but there was an air of intentional dilapidation. Jon thinks that it might be maintained in the post-war, post-Allied victory condition. He didn't ask.

Wolfe led him on a winding pathway down hallways, rooms, and stairs. Wolfe clearly knew where he was headed but everything looked kinda the same to Jon.

Finally, they reached what looked like a water-tight door on a submarine. Wolfe stopped at the door and raised his hand to a slightly hidden spot nearby. Next to the door, there was a slightly out-of-place keypad. He stopped, and turned to Jon.

"Are you ready for this?" Wolfe asks.

"As I'll ever be," Jon shrugged.

Wolfe nodded and turned back. He keyed in at least 10 digits before a small bulb on the keypad flashed green three times. After the last flash, a 'thunk' came from inside the door.

"Let's go," Wolfe added, starting to turn the lock on the door.