Chapter 56

The man sighed heavily and stands. He buttoned his suitcoat as he looked down at Jon.

"Alright then," the man says, "come with me."

He turned on his heel and headed out of the canteen area. Jon stands quickly and followed him.

"Where are we going?" Jon asks as he hustled to catch up.

"Somewhere to talk," the man says.

"We can't talk there?" Jon asks, finally getting in step with the man.

The man stopped short and turned towards him. Jon takes an extra step before sliding to a stop.

"We can," the man says, "I tried. But you're nervous... clearly. So, let's find somewhere more private."

"Uhh," Jon stammered.

The man rolled his eyes and turned back forward and started moving again. Jon stepped in behind him. They were heading straight towards the big door guarded by the two large gentlemen in suits.

"I don't have a..." Jon stammered.

"It won't matter," the man says, dismissing his concern.

As they got close to the door, the two men saw them coming. When they reached the door, it was already being held open on both sides by each of the men. Jon realized that the man didn't show an ID; he wasn't sure he'd seen an ID on him.

The guard holding the door on Jon's side started to reach out and say something to Jon, but the man interceded effortlessly.

"He's with me," the man says without turning from front.

"Yes, Mr. Wolfe," the guard says and pulled back to the door.

Just like that, Jon was on the other side of the door.

They travelled down a short hallway and past several doorways open to a large ballroom. There was a stage with rows of seats in front of it. Someone was on stage speaking and many of the seats were full of listeners. Behind those rows, there were high tables many with groups standing around them chatting. There was a general murmur coming from the doorway underlying the person on stage speaking.

On the other side of the ballroom entry was another doorway. Another set of guards were standing at those doors. As before, the doors were open by the time Jon reached them. As before, one of the guards reacted and the man called him off with a word.

After the door, there was another short hallway followed by a 'T' junction where a long hallway turned left from the one they were travelling. Jon looked left down the wide hallway. There were matching doorways on either side of the hallway, some open and others not, but each with an electronic sign outside. People were passing between the doorways or standing in the hallway. As Jon passed and looked that direction, C saw him passing. C's eyes went wide and his mouth dropped. Jon gave him a half-smile and a half-shrug. Then, he was out of sight.

Jon turned his attention ahead again and there was another doorway. Instead of a pair of guards, there was one massive man. This man was dressed well, but without a suit jacket. Jon wasn't sure they made one big enough to wrap his shoulders. When they reached him, Jon literally looked up at the guard.

Unlike the previous doorway, the guard didn't move and open the door when they stepped up. The man addressed the guard, but not to move.

"Wolfe. I need a private, quiet room," the man says.

The guard nodded understanding, but then gestured with his head at a box on the wall. The man sighed, but then stepped over and pressed the button.

"Yes?" a voice answers.

The man looked up at the corner about the doorway. Jon looked the same direction and realized there was a camera there, looking down at him.

"Wolfe. I need a private, quiet room," the man repeated.

"Appointment?" the voice asks.

The man sighed again, "No. Just get me a fucking room please."

The guard chuckles. The man winked at him. They share a secret that Jon isn't in on.

A buzz comes from behind the door. The man steps back to Jon's side and the guard sidesteps and pulls the door open.

"Sorry, Mr. Wolfe," the guard apologizes.

"Not your fault, Tony," the man chuckles, "fucking bureaucracy."

"You're not wrong, sir," Tony smirks.

The man taps Jon on the shoulder and goes through. Jon follows him closely, giving a head nod to Tony.

On the other side of the door, there was a desk with two young women sitting behind it working. The desk blocks most of the hallway. Beyond, there was another 'T' junction with a side hallway. As they step up, one of the women looks up and gives a half smile before speaking. She was the voice on the box.

"I don't think the cursing was necessary, Mr. Wolfe," the woman chides him.

"I don't think the cloak and dagger is necessary," the man responds snidely, "but, here we are."

"And him?" the woman gestures to Jon.

"Don't worry about him," the man answers, "he's with me."

"Highly irregular," the woman sighs.

"I can tell," the man answers, "just by looking at you. Try removing the stick."

The other woman suppresses a smile and laugh. She keeps her face turned down to her work. The speaker gives her partner a side-eye before turning back to the man with a fake smile.

"The room?" the man repeats.

"Four," the woman answers.

She holds out her arm, pointing with one finger.

The man returns her fake smile, "Thank you."

The man moves past the desk and Jon follows. He turns left down the hallway. They step up to the doorway with a '4' on the sign outside.

Below the number sign, there is a metal box affixed to the wall with a key on the side of it. The man reaches into his pockets and pulls out his phone, keys, and other items. He dumps them into the box and looks over his shoulder at Jon, who does the same. With pockets empty, the man turns the key and the top of the box closes. He takes the key with him. Then, the man turns the knob and pushes the door open. Inside was a small room with soundproofing on the walls and ceiling. There was a plain table, with a metal frame and a clear plastic top, and a matching set of 4 chairs, also metal framed with clear seat and back.

The man gestures at a a chair and Jon takes a seat. The man sits across from him and leans forward with his elbows on the table.

"Ok..." the man says, "let's chat."