Ch 10

About an hour later, Jon leans back from the table absolutely stuffed.

"Do you want more mntwana?" Jon's grandmother asks him.

"I couldn't eat another bite," Jon says, patting his belly.

His grandmother chuckles, "you ate like you haven't had anything in months."

"I haven't," Jon says with a smile, "nothing that good anyway."

"Your wife," his grandmother asks, "she doesn't cook for you?"

"My wife?" Jon asks confused.

"Yes," his grandmother continues, "I know she's not from here, but she can learn to cook our food for you."

Jon looks at his uncle who is smiling broadly at both of them.

"Ugogo," Jon says gently, "I'm not married."

"Of course, you are Jonikhaya," his grandmother laughs.

"I think I would know," Jon smiles at her.

His grandmother suddenly looks concerned, "did you get divorced? Why did no one tell me?"

She looks at his uncle and the other faces at the end of the table. Jon puts his hand over hers.

"Ugogo," Jon says gently, "I was never married."

His grandmother looks at the faces around the table again.

"That's," she says, "that's not right."

Jon's uncle looks at her and says sweetly, "It's alright Ugogo, you have so many grandchildren, and great-grandchildren now.. You must be confused."

"Don't treat me like a fool," his grandmother argues, "I know my own grandchildren."

She points at Jon.

"And, I know that one was married," she says, "off in London with none of the family there."

Jon seems to understand and he explains, "Ugogo, I was engaged back in college, when I was in London. But we never got married. That must be what you're thinking of."

"No," his grandmother argues, "I know you were married. I saw the picture from your wedding day."

"There's no way that you saw a picture on my wedding day because I wasn't married," Jon takes a deep breath, "my fiance was killed. She died in an accident a few weeks before our wedding."

His grandmother seems very confused.

"So," Jon continues, "there is no way you saw a picture of me on my wedding day. Maybe my engagement photos, but not a wedding photo.

"I don't understand," his grandmother stammers taking Jon's hand, "I have a picture at my house of you in a tuxedo and her in a wedding dress."

Now Jon is confused, "You have a picture?"

"Yes," his grandmother says, "I'm sure of it."

"I just don't see how that's possible," Jon says.

"Well," his grandmother says resolutely, "I'll show you."

Jon doesn't seem to understand.

"You come back with me and I'll show you," his grandmother insists.

Jon looks at his uncle, and then back at his grandmother.

"Whether or not there is a picture," Jon says to her, joking to his uncle, "I cannot miss a chance to see your house. I need to be sure this inja is taking care of you!"

His grandmother smiled, "let's go."