Chapter 16: Infinitesimal

We reached 800 reads and if we get to 1k before this baby becomes 2 months old, i'll be happy (the publishing aniversary is in a week so we got a week to get 200 more reads lmao)

TW: lowkey unreliable narrator, panicking, getting triggered, self deprecating thoughts, basically angst

It had been a bit more than a week since Logan accepted the offer to teach Patton, and things weren't going too bad. They started the same night Logan said yes and had had classes almost every day of the following week, Sunday being the only exception. Those lessons varied between working for a few hours a day to studying for 20 minutes before starting a game, depending on the mood of both the teacher and the students.

Talking of students... When these strange little classes begun, Logan was guided to one of the studies in the house. Both Logan and Patton sat to the table and started working on mathematical problems, as it seemed something the kid lacked knowledge on. The thing is, they weren't alone in that room. During the first day, Remus sat down in a couch located in the corner of the room, observing the two in complete and absolute silence as they worked. At first, Logan thought that Remus was there to watch over Logan and potentially murder him if he caused any inconveniences for Patton. These suspicions where soon proven wrong when Remus asked a question regarding the subject being looked at on day two. By day three, Remus was sitting in the table next to them, and for day five Logan was making the two of them do exercises together, allowing the two pupils to help each other out.

It kind of made sense, Logan realized. Remus might've been several centuries old, but that didn't necessarily mean he was all-knowing. Judging by his appearance, the vampire had spent most of his existence fighting rather than studying. Hell, Janus didn't even know how fractions worked, and he seemed like the intellectual one of the couple. It made sense that Remus's knowledge on certain aspects to be limited, specially with all the scientific advanced that had been going on in the past decades. It was sorta sweet that he was trying to learn new things along with Patton.

The "class" had gotten together for the seventh day. Logan already had planned something for today's lesson, some new exercises to test what his students had learned, but before he could even take the papers out of his bag and start the lesson, Remus raised his hand. Logan arched an eyebrow.

"Yes, Remus?"

Remus eyed Patton, who gave him an encouraging nod, before beginning to speak.

"Er renacuajo and I w're talking 'n we did want to ask thee to teachest us about space."

"You want to learn about space?" Logan asked, a slight bit surprised with this statement

"Yes!" Patton beamed

"There hast been some... new knowledge on the sky thing and earth, so I'm did confuse on the actual facts anon. Earth is not champain anymore 'n the circles don't orbit same way. I want an explanation on it."

"And I want to learn about the stars!"

Both students looked up at Logan, eyes shining. Logan sighed and set the papers back down. It seemed they'd have to leave maths for another day.

"I see... That's very reasonable, I do find passion in space and astronomy myself," Logan nodded, "And, in case either of you didn't know, astronomy is the study of celestial objects and the universe. Basically the study of space, the topic of today."

"Sounds like a fancy word!"

"Fancy word indeed, Patton."

Logan thought back for a second. He was working with a 10-year-old and a 553-year-old. He wasn't sure of the knowledge either of them had on the subject already, but it all pointed to it being either minimal or inaccurate. It'll be best to start with an easy introduction, meaning he'd have to hold back a lot, since he tended to get carried away when talking about his interests.