Chapter 40: The Demus Special 2.0

ah yes, what an original tittle. i should get an award for creativity/s

Anyways, we got to 3.6k reads and thats poggers

As always, the dark night sky stretched into the distance, void of any light apart from the dilled out one coming from the moon, but as the city began to disappear in the horizon, stars increased in brightness and number. The car was directed towards a small hill, the same one they had been going to for the last 200 years or so, ever since pollution became such an issue that it was hard to see the sky at night. Remus could still remember how bright the sky had been that one night when the couple met, contrasting with the pitch black of his cave. It wasn't until Janus...

"Remus?" Janus's soft voice brought Remus back to the present, "Where now?"

"We're almost there, amor de mis entrañas. Take a hath left turn over there and we'd beest on our destination"

Janus nodded, following Remus's instructions. It didn't take long for them to park on the hill. From where they were, the city was just a bundle of lights far away, and if they turned so that their back faced it, you could almost forget it was even there. While Janus turned off the engine and went to grab the basket, Remus opened his door and took the seatbelt off. With a small snapping sound, Remus no longer presented himself as a human, but as a brown husky. While he still missed the same number of limbs in his dog form, maintaining balance and moving around was easier in 3 legs rather than just one.

After nudging his door close, Remus went over to Janus, who had already locked the car by the time Remus got there. The dog woofed to catch Janus's attention and rubbed against his leg. Janus chuckled slightly and bent down to scratch behind his ears before the two began to walk up the kill towards their picnic spot.

Once there, Janus picked the blanket up from the basket and laid it on the floor, covering the grass and stretching it out to avoid wrinkles. He set the basket slightly away but still within reach before sitting down, Dog-Remus following and sitting next to him, head resting on Janus's lap. The vampire pet Remus's head for a bit, his fingers brushing against the soft fur before it turned into real hair, now both the vampires presenting as human. Now that he could, Janus bent down and kissed Remus's lips before the two gazed upon the night sky, stars much more visible than before, lucky to barely have any clouds that night compared to the ones before.

They rested in a comfortable silence for a while, the only sounds that could be heard being their slow breathing, the wind, and the occasional buzzing from a nearby bug. Not after long, this silence was broken by Remus's rusty voice.

"Does thee remember the night we hath met?" He asked looking at his husband, earning a soft, anxious chuckle from Janus who still looked up at the sky.

"What kind of person would I be if I forgot?"

"The one I love," Remus kissed Janus's hand, "I don't mind having to remind thee, I wouldst never stand ho loving you coequal if thee forgot."

Janus nodded, not taking his eyes off the evening sky. You could distinguish the silhouette of the moon, the light it created, but it was hidden away by a cloud.

"It was in the cold seasons, was it not? Late autumn, early winter?" Janus asked.

"Yes. In the cave it was hard to measure the months, but it was around mid-November."

"Mid-November," Janus nodded, "I had been looking for shelter... been running away for so long. I can't even remember what of- I couldn't even remember back then"