Chapter 59: i hate that i'm loosing motivation on this, what's the point?

6,7k reads pog

TW: mentions of death (august), and then like, hiding body n kinda angsty ig

It was time. Janus had checked multiple times on the basement in the past few days when he knew that there was no fear of being caught and had confirmed this fact several times.

August was dead. Death by poison, it seemed.

The good thing about vampiric corpses is how much better they conserved themselves than human ones. Didn't decompose as fast, much less messy, yet just as easy to get rid of.

That is, if we had the normal circumstances. Unfortunately, now Janus had to make sure that no one else in the house knew about this business, which was hard, considering that the only hours where the others would be asleep were the ones were it would be deadly to go outside, therefore, out of the question.

Fortunately, the opportunity presented itself when it was time to go shopping. Emile had taken Patton with him, as it happened often with this sort of chores; Patton loved going outside. Virgil wouldn't be a problem, he wasn't around as often now, not since the August incident from two weeks ago.

The only one home would be Remus, who Janus had already told he'd have to leave to "get some business done". Technically not a lie. When asked, Janus said it had to do with August's re-location. Also not a lie. With that, Remus stopped asking questions. Better that way.

Everything was in place; Janus had the shovel ready and packed in the car, already put the body in a bag, had made his way up from the basement and was carrying the corpse out. Just then, he heard footsteps behind him.

"Amor de mis entrañas, ¿te importa comprobar el horario del museo ya que sales? Me gustaría-"

Janus looked up at Remus just as his husband stopped on the second-to-last step of the stairs, looking at the bag Janus had over his shoulder.

There was a minute of silence in which breath stopped coming to Janus's lungs.

Remus's eyes met his own. Those emerald green eyes. No words needed to be said between the two; just a look for them to communicate. A small nod from Janus's part. Remus sighed.

"¿Has matado ya algún animal?" Remus asked

"Pensaba hacerlo al llegar al bosque," The other said.

"Deja que me encargue yo, necesito salir de casa más de todas maneras," Remus decided, going towards the door. Janus smiled softly, putting his hand on Remus's cheek and kissing his lips when he was close enough

"Je t'aime," Janus murmured, "je t'aime tellement, mon chéri"

"Je t'aime aussi, mais nous avons des affaires ici dont nous devons nous occuper avant que les autres n'arrivent"

"I know," Janus sighed, "terminemos con esto de una maldita vez"

...

The car ride to the forest was silent, the 70s music from the radio all that could be heard. There hadn't been a need to ask whose body it was; it was obvious. Neither had there been the need to ask why. This didn't mean there weren't any questions to ask

"Wherefore didn't thee say?" Remus asked halfway through the ride

"Thought you wouldn't approve," Janus answered, not taking his eyes off the road

"Lief, we both know yond I'm in nay lodging to judge-"

"I don't mean it that way," Janus gripped the steering wheel harder, "You- Remus, dear- I know what you think about this. About my job. Like it or not, this is consequence of it"

"This is thee protecting our family"

"This is me ruining our family. If any of the others found out, it'll be the end of our world. And it's not that I don't trust you- je sais que tu ne le dirais pas. Mais on te connaît tous les deux, comment... tu vas dernièrement"

"That's unfair-"

"I didn't want to cause you any more pain," Janus explained, "I didn't want to trigger another flashback. I didn't want to cause you any harm, because if I hurt you again, I wouldn't be able to deal with it"

"You've never done harm to me, amor de mis entrañas. Todo lo que me ha pasado, me lo he buscado yo mismo"

"Sure," Janus rolled his eyes, "Let's just- get rid of the body and pretend like this never happened"

"Darling-"

"Remus, please," Janus pleaded, "I don't want anyone finding out. It would only make things worse"

Remus sighed but didn't argue any more.

...

They parked the car before entering the forest, in a side of the road. Janus had already changed his shoes to the hiking ones, the ones reserved for this type of business. He went to grab the body bag and shovel, Remus trailing behind him as a dog already.

The plan was a simple one, one they've executed one too many times. Go to the forest, a different location each time, dig a big whole. It and to be several feet deep, and usually didn't take as long to dig; Janus was usually accompanied by other people for the occasion. Tonight, he'd have to do it alone. With the rise of new technology, there was a new need to be sneakier, that's when Remus came in; his job was to hunt an animal, perhaps a good rabbit or something of a similar matter. Burry the body, cover it by dirt, burry the animal, finish the grave. If they sent search dogs by any chance, they'll find the dead animal and assume it was simply a mistake. To make it better, it was a forest; burying a dead body next to a tree could make it so that the roots of the tree ate the body. The best part is that, according to Janus's check, August wasn't important. He wouldn't be missed. No one would catch them.

Several hours went by, Janus digging all throught them. He had tied his hair tightly, opposed to the more relaxed styles he used when wearing a ponytail. Instead of his usual fancy clothes, he had ones he stole from Virgil, ones he'd left behind and forgotten years ago, ones he knew the vampire wouldn't be looking for. Now, they were ruined, covered in dirt. And soon, they would be burned. One could never be too careful.

Remus managed to kill a rabbit, a good one, brown fur now coated in dark, thick blood, lifeless eyes staring into the void. As a dog, Remus tore into it, tearing the flesh off, coating his beige fur with that same dark, thick liquid. Janus kept digging.

It was hard to determine the hour; the moon and stars were hidden away by the trees, and Janus hadn't brought any of his watches with him. All he knew is that it was nighttime, and that the sun wouldn't be rising for a while still.

When the hole was finally big enough, Janus pushed the dead body inside; now came the hard work of covering it all up again, yet it was significantly easier than opening up the grave. As Remus had finished with his original task, he also helped in the burial.

As a final touch, they covered it up with leaves from fallen trees; this way, it seemed like none of the earth had been disturbed.

Obviously, neither of them could go back to the house in the dirty clothes. All this caution, just so that Emile would find out the second they stepped back in? It was hard getting rid of the dirt, so the easy solution was to put gloves on for the hand, fix up the hair with a good hat, change clothes.

Ride back home was as silent as the ride to the forest

No one suspected a thing.

A/N

Sorry this was late lol. A friend of mine sent me a lovely letter and package all the way from the other side of europe and i stayed most of the morning hyped about taht and forgot about this

It's crazy to think that there's only 1 more chapter of this before the book is done... 

Peace, Love and Granola