Chapter 07

There is one important fact.

Ophelia is really bad at lying-worse than anyone else in the world. The reason why my parents were so easily deceived by the child was simple. Because they never thought she was clever enough to lie.

However, the truth is Ophelia often lied.

The reason why she thinks that I know everything was also because I kept on spotting the child's lies.

'But, no one has ever told Ophelia straight on that she is lying.'

I sighed.

Maybe that is why Ophelia thought that she was a very good liar herself. When, in reality, no one had taken her seriously.

It was that right now, too.

Obviously, I already handed the turtle food to her along with the fishbowl earlier.

Though she came to get the turtle food now?

There was no fool in this mansion who would covet Ophelia's stuff in the first place. Even more so if it was a damn turtle food that had no value whatsoever. So, why would she even have to hide something like that on the floor?

"Ophelia, there is no turtle food here. I already gave it to you a week ago."

"Ah..."

At my answer, she seemed to be greatly embarrassed as her voice rose.

"Then, there is no need for you to come in, would you? Go back."

Ophelia's reply came back a little slow.

"But, sister-"

I swallowed dry saliva.

For whatever reason, Ophelia wanted to enter the basement. I had an ominous feeling because no one could stop Ophelia when she was being stubborn.

...And, that ominous hunch was not wrong this time as well.

"I...I know what sister is doing in there."

"You know?"

Confused, a hoarse voice came out.

How? When...?

Ophelia has yet to come down to the basement in the past week, and when I got out of the basement, I always kept an eye on her. Also frankly, on the contrary, she was rather pleased that it was an expression of interest.

"...Every time sister goes down to the basement, you always pack bandages and pills until the basket is full."

...Oh, my.

I realized.

The fact that the actions I had taken to monitor Ophelia in the past, had turned into an opportunity for her to monitor me as well.

It was only then that I regretted it, but it was way too late.

Ophelia continued calmly. "Were you seriously injured when you went out before?"

Huh...?

I blinked my eyes at her words.

At that point, I did not know whether to laugh or cry.

"Somehow, I thought you looked too tired back then, too. Still, I thought sister would recover quickly if you rested well... But, you are still tired these days."

Of course, it is inevitable that I will be tired because I have to stay by Cassius' side and take care of him.

I cleared my throat lightly.

If Ophelia is mistaking me, it is not as bad as it is.

"Yes, you are right. I got a little hurt back then... but now it is a lot better. Will you go back now? I need to get some rest."