Chapter 21

“…What are you trying to do?”
​​
Cassius Brudenell was surprised at the words she uttered.
​​​​
He was reacting unnecessarily emotionally. Usually, he would not have responded this way. However, the climbing rage paralyzed reason and broke his inertia.

“Honestly…”

Ophelia, on the other hand, was answering calmly without blinking an eye.

“I truly adore Lord Cassius.”

Contrary to her words, the sweet sensation of that was not contained in the words she said at all.

Cassius frowned.

There was a limit to holding back.

Just as he was about to reply to Ophelia’s words.

The Duke of Brudenell, who had been quietly watching the situation, opened his mouth.

“I am glad you have come all the way here from Count Garneid.”

“….!”

People gasped and breathed in. Of course, the most surprised one was Ophelia. She stared blankly at Duke Brudenell, who suddenly interjected out of the blue.

At first, she thought she would be slapped hard on the cheek and get kicked out by the Countess. But now, the Duke was saying something that seemed to acknowledge herself.

“Father.”

Cassius opened his mouth.

“I have no intention of marrying that woman.”

There was somewhat a dangerous ring in his words.

‘It was a warning…’

Ophelia shivered.

…A warning that he will never marry her.

“Cassius, what are you talking about? Didn’t you say you wanted to marry Count Garneid’s Young Lady?”

“That is right. Not this woman, but Young Lady Evelyn Garneid.”

At his words, Duke Brudenell’s sharp eyes pierce Ophelia.

“…That is strange. In my eyes, this lady looks exactly like Young Lady Evelyn Garneid?”

“….!”

At that, Ophelia’s face turned white.

It was only then did he realize Duke Brudenell’s thought.

Coming here, Ophelia disguised herself as Evelyn. So, when she was treated like the real Evelyn, it meant that Evelyn would become the official fiancée of Cassius.

“Father, I have no intention of marrying a substitute.”

He replied bluntly.

Hearing that, she was relieved, but at the same time, she could not help being suspicious. Cassius Brudenell is cold-blooded and mischievous. She cannot believe someone like that would refuse to be the official fiancé of Evelyn.

Ophelia had a bad feeling.

“I thought you wanted to get engaged to Count Garneid’s Young Lady at all costs?”

“Your father is right, Cassius.”

The Duchess also chimed in.

“Maybe it is a good thing. Count Garneid’s Young Lady is a little… she is unique. You can do the ceremony with this lady first. She will not be able to get far, so we will find the Young Lady soon.”

However, despite the persuasion of his parents, Cassius stood his ground.

“…The finger I am going to put on the ring must be the finger of the real Young Lady Evelyn Garneid.”