Chapter 53

Chapter 53

To explain how this happened, we have to go back a few hours.

I invited Cassius to the Imperial Palace since he could not enter the Empress' Palace. However, due to the consideration of Her Majesty The Empress, I was able to meet him at the Palace instead.

Of course, he came running after a month of not seeing each other.

"You've become more beautiful than I've ever seen, Evelyn."

As soon as I met him, I could hear the greeting that he uttered as though he seemed to miss me.

"Well... Thank you."

I replied awkwardly.

We had never been apart for so long that my appearance changed. Nonetheless, in order to deal with Cassius Brudenell, such nonsense was to be taken lightly.

"Why did you call me?"

"Do I really need a reason?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

He asked with a surprised face and continued, "I called Evelyn because I missed you so much. You must have called me for a reason, too. Not for the same reason as me, but..."

"I promised."

I interrupted Cassius, who was getting closer to the truth.

"Instead of you not coming to visit, I would go see you often. Though I had an opportunity to invite you, so I called... Don't you like it?"

"What do you mean, I don't like it?"

At my words, he shook his head.

"Is that possible?"

"That's a relief."

I raised the corners of my lips.

"I was worried that I might be calling someone who's busy."

Contrary to the calm tone that I was trying to maintain, the more we talked, the more I started to worry.

...Is this plan really going to work?

If it were Cassuis, he would have declared that he had his heart for me whether he spent the night with the Princess or not.

'Still, it does not matter.'

I made up my mind.

In that case, I would just say that I do not trust him. There will be a scandal, although what about it? I am already called Count Garnid's mad lady. In order to escape from Cassius, I could have done more than this.

"You don't have to worry about that."

At the sound of Cassius' voice, I suddenly returned to reality.

"You're always my number one priority. Nothing else matters, so don't worry about it.

"...Lord, may I ask you just one thing?"

"Anything."

He answered in a soft voice.

I wet my dry lips. Even when Cassius' consent fell, no words came out of my mouth. Even though it was simple, it was a difficult question to say out of my mouth.

...Why does he love me?

Until now, I had never really thought deeply about his mind just since he is crazy. It was because you would not ask why you woke up in the face of a sudden natural disaster.

But...

'...I want to know.'

I tried to utter a word, though I stopped because I could not find a clear expression and my lips began to twitch. Still, I had to ask. If the plan succeeded, now was the last chance to know his true feelings for me.