Chapter 31

"...Yes?"

I screamed out of shock.

Ruined...?

The face of the kind-hearted Ian Camero popped into my mind.

"Did you say Camero? I felt sorry for him. It turned out that he bought a variety of tulips for a huge price."

"...."

"Not only that, it seems that people who approached him to do business have deceived him as well. So, it was completely ruined. If you have not taken your hand off before..."

That is absurd...

Camero must have been hurt so badly by me that he has even sworn he would never do business with anyone again. Something I did not know must be happening beneath the surface.

As I tried to listen to the Duchess' while trying to stay alert, I heard the following words clearly...

"So, sweetheart, I am going to hold a ball to congratulate you and officially announce that you are the daughter-in-law of our family... What do you think?"

"...Yes?"

I doubted my ears for a moment.

I had been throwing away so much all this time, so I could not believe she was going to say something like that.

No matter how successful the investment was, I deserved to be reprimanded for sending that much money, though now, the Duchess's reaction was the complete opposite.

"Thank you for your words, but I am not even married yet, so the ball for me is a little..."

An ominous smile appeared on the Duchess' lips.

"As expected, he is my son. Where in the world did he bring such a charming girl. But, you do not have to be so humble."

Contrary to the Duchess' unsuitable, caring tone, my face became more and more stiff.

"Madam, I am not saying this because it is not humility, though because I think it is really over-compensation."

"Oh, what do you mean Madam? You do not have to be too formal. You can just call me mother."

Formally, I think that would be better...

'Wait a minute...'

My eyes gleamed.

It was because there was no need for me to accept the Duchess's friendliness. She was clearly expressing her affection to me.

So, what if I openly reject it and cause embarrassment instead?

No matter how successful this investment is, it would be impossible for her to keep being nice to me.

"I do not want to."

"....?"

The eloquent reply from the Duchess stopped for the first time.

"I have only two mothers, the one who gave birth to me and the one who raised me. The Duchess is none of them. So, I cannot call you mother."

A moment of silence passed.

I waited anxiously for the Duchess to express her anger or displeasure.

"...Ha!"

I blinked my eyes.

It was obviously a laugh that came out of the Duchess's mouth. No laughter or ridicule, just an ordinary laugh.

"Haha... Ha-Haha!"

The Duchess barely stopped her laughter, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"I am sorry. It made me laugh at the thought that my son had brought a really interesting Young Lady."