Chapter 42

Chapter 42

What’s this feeling…?

I swallowed dry saliva.

I felt the same pressure as when I was dealing with the Duchess of Brudenell.

However, the pressure was even greater than then. Since I didn’t want to look good to the Duchess, though, I wanted to be seen well by the Empress and live as a maid of the Empress for a long, long time.

If I can’t adjust to life in the Empress’ Palace, I’ll have to go back to the Duke’s house, which is what I really don’t want the most.

‘Let’s lie down flat!’

With that thought, I obediently answered.

“I am just moved by the attention of the Empress.”

“Is that so?”

The Empress grinned and continued, “That’s a relief. I was worried that the Young Lady would be burdened, though it seemed that there’s no need to worry about that.”

The Empress then stood up from her seat.

“If you’re not busy, would you like a cup of tea together?”

“It is an honour.”

There was no way I’m busy. In the first place, am I not the empress’s handmaiden? It was a situation where I had to follow, even if she asked something more than drinking tea together.

The Empress opened the door behind her audience room, revealing a small hallway.

‘It was this way.’

I quietly followed her.

Eventually, after passing through a small hallway and corridor, a small tea room appeared.

“We could have a drink outside, although I prefer this place.”

“I also prefer to stay indoors, too, Your Majesty.”

“Is that so? I’m glad I found someone to share my taste with.”

I followed the Empress into her tea room.

‘.…?’

My eyes grew on their own, and my nostrils quivered. It was because the scent of flowers was pouring out enough to give me a headache. Apparently, exotic flowers were decorated enough to fill the tea room.

And…

‘Butterfly…?’

Colorful butterflies fluttered around the place.

At first glance, it seemed like they were moving around freely, though it was pathetic that they couldn’t get out of the tea room.

“It’s a gift from Princess Hermia. Do you like it?”

“Of course.”

Answering her, I pretended to be okay and smiled brightly, but on the inside, I felt quite complicated.

‘Princess Hermia clearly despised me.’

It wasn’t just Princess Hermia. The other princes who attended the wedding proposal ceremony that day were also not convinced by Gabian DeViro’s words. By referring to Princess Hermia, it was clear that she was implying that she didn’t like me.

“Young Lady of Garneid.”

The Empress smiled softly and sat down in her seat.

Just in time, the maid brought out the tea.

I wet my dry lips.

Soon, it will be my job.

“I never thought I was that scary, but I think the Young Lady was too scared.”