Chapter 44

Chapter 44

Cassius' low, yet dangerous voice continued one after another.

​​"You'll eventually come back to me, like all other nobles... Until then, you can play with that man as much as you want. I won't hurt you."
​​
"...Cassius Brudenell."

I couldn't stand it, so I cut off Cassius' words.

"If you heard the conversation today, you know, nothing happened between me and him. You would know better if you heard it from the beginning."

"Are you trembling?"

His tone resembled a sulky child. And, by nature, children are even more cruel.
​​
"You wanted to leave with him."

I had nothing to say.

Whatever the case, it was true that I unexpectedly nodded my head then.

"Evelyn."

Cassius' slender hand brushed my cheek as he opened his mouth again, "You promised not to leave me. Just as I have kept my promise, please keep it as well."

I gazed straight at him, hoping he did not notice my shaking eyes.

"I won't leave."

"Good."

Even though he nodded, it did not seem that he believed me. Of course, it would be stupid to believe. Just a while ago, I showed Cassius how I was being swayed by Gabriel.

"Please, go back now. If you get caught like this..."

I abruptly stopped talking and frowned.

Come to think of it, even if I tell him to go back, Cassius will continue to hide and monitor me. On the contrary, the surveillance might be more severe.

'....'

I was appalled.

In a way, it was better if he walked around openly like this. That way, I can predict when and where I am being monitored.

"Even if I told you to go back, you wouldn't really want to go back."

Cassius immediately reacted to the words that were spilled like he was talking to himself.

"If you want, I'll go back right away. However, there is one condition."

"Conditions...?"

Asking back, I blinked my eyes. It seemed that the conditions I placed on him during that time had an effect on Cassius as well. Should I say that I am adapting quickly or that I have an excellent ability to learn...

Despite it being an unwelcome change, I could not say anything because it was a skill that I had used several times in the past.

"Didn't Evelyn promise to visit often, instead of me going to the Empress Palace to see you?"

"Yes."

"Please come and meet me now."

"...Yes?"

I glanced up blankly at Cassius.
​​
What does that mean? It was clear that I did not even know what he was talking about.

"Right now... Aren't we meeting?"

Cassius tilted his head at my words.

"You really don't know, Evelyn?"

I swallowed dry saliva.

No... I know. There is no way I can know at this point. I just wanted to deny it for a moment.