Chapter 24

'The letter...!'

I bit my lip tightly.

Do not tell me all this was because of the letter...
​​
The moment I realized that, I felt like I wanted to cut off my hand that wrote the letter.

"I could have been a man."

"Is that important?"

Cassius snorted as he answered.

"Whether you are a man or a woman, a child or an old man, I would have you. Even if you were a machine made of iron and copper..."

"Stop it!"

I screamed as I could not stand the words he kept saying anymore.

"I am not an object that you can just have..."

"Evelyn, do you still not know?"

His voice had a dangerous tone lingering in it.

"I cannot live without you already. So, I have no choice but to have you."

Goosebumps swelled up at Cassius' remarks, who was always polite as usual in the way he speaks.

"I am the only heir in my family. Are you trying to cut off the generation of Count Garneid?"

I was half despondent, so I spouted out the words that came to my mind at random. However, the answer was already half-expected.

Someone like Cassius Brudenell might ask, what is the problem?

To him, the County of Garneid was nothing more than a pyramid that could be destroyed without any guilt.

But, the answer that came back was completely different from what I expected.

"You just need to have a child."

Cassius answered clearly as if he were speaking a self-evident truth.

"...Pardon?"

I doubted my ears for a moment.

"Aren't the Count and his wife still in their youth? I am sure they will gladly raise your children as the successor."

Crazy.

This guy is insane...

Just before the curse came out of my throat, I barely caught my breath and uttered a reply back.

"I hate children."

"That is all right."

Still, he replied calmly.

"Anyway, it will be your parents who will raise them. It does not matter if they formally adopt them."

I licked my lips.

My anger swelled when I heard Cassius talking as if it was a fact that I would have a child with him.

"I have no intention of getting pregnant."

Because of that, I declared it outright.

"It is too dangerous to have children. My life is more important to me than anything else."

It was not an exaggeration.

Because this is a world where medicine was not as advanced as modern day medicine, it was necessary to risk one's life to conceive and give birth. So, I had no intention of taking that risk.

"Is that so?"

However, Cassius did not seem surprised at all. He was just quietly accepting my opinion.

"All right. There is no need for children, like you said, your life is more important to me than anything else."

"...Yes?"