Chapter 34

Chapter 34

'I want to know what Lord Cassius hates.'

The Duchess of Brudenell smiled contentedly as she recalled Evelyn's words from a while ago.
​​
When Cassius set out to engage the Count of Garneid's Young Lady, who they all said was crazy, she was not satisfied. This was especially true when Evelyn ran away, leaving the illegitimate child and her sister as her scapegoat.

But, as time went on, she gradually realized that her son had made a good choice for the next Duchess.

Evelyn Garneid was quick to judge the situation and good at counting-successful investment was an example. Continued luxury has also yielded good results.

Until now, the Duke of Brudenell has not shown off his wealth very much.

Even if he did not reveal it, there was no one who did not know that the Duke of Brudenell was the richest family in the Empire.

Still, like everything in the world, money rots when it accumulates.

Thanks to Evelyn's purchase of the jewels and mansion, the long-dormant Duke's goods were turned into new and valuable assets.

'I really like her.'

The Duchess swung her finger, still smiling.

She was worried about what kind of mate Cassius, who resembled his father and was less personable, would find, and what kind of person would become the next Duchess...

She rang her bell and called her maid.

"Bring me Cassius. I have something to tell him."

How long has it been?

The same day, Cassius, in perfect attire without a fuss, reached the doorstep.

The Duchess glanced at her sculpturally handsome own son with no emotion. No matter how handsome you are, what is the point?

You have to be a person.

The Duchess was not a fool.

The reason Evelynn Garneid ran away is probably because of his grotesque personality.

"Mother."

Cassius bowed lightly.

"Sit down."

The Duchess gracefully beckoned to where Evelyn had been drinking her tea a moment earlier. In the meantime, though her maids skillfully arranged the seats, Cassius' sharp eyes did not miss the little clues.

"You had guests."

"The Count of Garneid's Young Lady came to see me."

"She...came to see mother?"

Cassius frowned.

Rather than being surprised, he seemed to be wary.

Not surprisingly, Evelyn Garneid had been outspokenly avoiding members of the Duke of Brudenell, including him. So, the fact that she went to visit the Duchess had to arouse his suspicions as to whether she was up to something.

For example, he wondered if she was trying to run away again.

"Yes."

Duchess Broudnell's lips drew an arc.

"You seem to be more enthusiastic than I thought."

Cassius's eyes widened.

'That is how it should be.'

The Duchess swallowed a peal of laughter inside. No matter how stern he pretended to be, both him and Evelyn were young men and women in their prime.

There was nothing wrong with being a little lecherous.