Chapter 11

“You are going to Caruso?”

My father asked me back in a confused voice.

“But, you did not like the sea? You did not even go on the family vacation before because you said you were gaining weight.”

Hearing his words, I blinked my eyes.

Was it Evelyn in the original?

I had no memory of it because I never paid her attention to Evelyn, who was nothing more than the mean half-sister of the heroine. However, that was it, and improvisation is improvisation.

“Oh, that was what I have been doing for my beloved father and mother to spend quality time together.”

“I did not know you cared about us so much.”

My mother’s hard answer made me nervous.

If mother and father oppose all the way to the end, the plan would go awry from the start.

“Anyway, it’s true that you do not look well these days, so I will let you go.”

Huh…?

Unexpectedly, mother graciously accepted the request without any objection.

“Instead, you need to rest well and come back in good health. Lord Cassius would be much more fond to see you in good health. Got it?”

“Of course.”

I forced a smile as I replied.

Now, it seems that my mother was trying to coax me somehow to develop my relationship with Cassius.

“By the way, why are you taking that stupid thing?”

“I am afraid I might have an accident while I am away.”

Mother let out a sigh.

“Yes, you have a point, do as you say.”

“Thank you.”

“When are you planning to leave?”

“Tomorrow morning.”

Caruso, the closest sea from the Capital, was only a three days drive away by carriage. With a beautiful white sandy beach and a large port, it was a place where all the Omani people of the Empire gathered.

‘Easy to hide, easy to board a ship.’

If the voyage was long enough, I was going to take a ship to cross the ocean. So, when we arrive, we will take a ship again.

Ophelia might be puzzled, but in the end, she will obey my insistence. As always.

Father frowned.

“Tomorrow? What do you mean?”

“It’s for my health, so I am going to go as soon as possible. There is nothing I can do if I stay here, anyway… I will come back in good health and do my duty.”

“Duty—I really like that word.”

Mother suddenly intervened. “Can I take your word for it, Evelyn?”

“Yes.”

I had no intention of doing the duty, still, I nodded my head.

If only I could escape from Cassius’ grasp, I would tell any lie. I even feel like I could sell my soul to the devil, but that is a lie.

“I will write to you often. If you want to see us, please come anytime.”

…Although I will not be able to see you since we will be on the ship.