Chapter 55

Chapter 55

"...."

I hurriedly finished my work and stepped back. Of course, I could not answer, and I had no intention of doing it.

"Good night, Evelyn."

Cassius, who seemed to have a difficult time raising his head due to being tied up, greeted me softly. Instead of answering, I pulled the blanket up all the way to my neck and shut my eyes. I just wanted to fall asleep quickly and get out of this bizarre situation.

However, falling asleep was harder than I thought.

Even when I closed my eyes, I could feel the breath of Cassius on the back of my neck, and his quiet voice continued to ring in his ears.

"My heart races to be able to be by your side like this."

Strength entered my fist that was holding the blanket.

Now, I knew

There was no need for me to be nervous from the beginning. I did not have to tie him up because Cassius would not have touched me...

Because he loves me that much

Because he did not want to be hated.

Obviously, the nature of Cassius Brudenell was not significantly different from that of the original. Nevertheless, he was showing me a different side from the original—desperately enough to feel pathetic.

I sighed.

'...Really, he likes me.'

It was only now that I could clearly see how naive I was in trying to attract Hermia. It was because Cassius Brudenell loves me, Evelyn Garneid. No matter how hard I struggle to escape, it will not work even if my mind cools down.

'Should I give up?'

I gave up trying to sleep and gazed up at the ceiling blankly. It did not seem like my heart would cool down easily.

Marrying him like this, becoming the Duke of Brudenell's next mistress, living with Cassius all my life, and giving birth to his child...

Just a few months ago, just imagining this would have given me goosebumps.

But now, it is different. I still dislike it and am reluctant. Of course, if I could avoid that fate, I would do anything. Still, just thinking of him now was not as bad as it used to be when I used to be filled with fear and disgust.

The reason was simple.

It was because I was convinced that Cassius Brudenell would not hurt me.

Even if I get married, if I vehemently refuse, he will never touch me without my permission. Yes, I could live the way I am now without having to get away from him because Cassius Brudenell is afraid of being hated by me since he wants to win my heart.

However...

'...How long will it last?'

I remember the journey of Cassius that was mentioned over and over again in the original novel. The words were a revelation, unilateral violence towards Ophelia.

Right now, he wants to win my heart, so he is hiding it, though I do not know when it will happen again.

'Still...'

I can rest assured now. The serenity provided by that fact made my body tired by itself. Before I knew it, my eyes slowly closed.

It was the first true gift that Cassius gave me.