Chapter 18

“I will stay here.”

Ophelia replied with her sad face.

“Anyway, I am always a hindrance to sister.”

“….”

I swallowed dry saliva.

Ophelia’s words were not exactly wrong. If it were not for her, I would have abandoned the Countess earlier and ran away. After all, Evelyn’s parents were nothing but strangers to me.

But, I could never abandon Ophelia.

“Ophelia, wait a few more days and come with me. A delay of only a few days will not make much of a difference.”

“…Do you really think so?”
​​
To be honest, I was really nervous.

Because it seemed like a madman like Cassius would kidnap me by giving me sleeping pills even tomorrow. However, that did not mean I could not abandon Ophelia.

“Well then, let’s see… We cannot use our family’s carriage this time. We will have to find one secretly.”

After all, if you give them the money, I am sure you will find as many skilled coaches as I can to take the two of us to the port right away.

The strategy was simple.

Take as much money as I can, and fly to the nearest port. Then, once I am out onto the sea, I will find a cruise ship that will sail for several months.

Since we have already tried Caruso as a destination, we will need to find another resort.
​​
“Everything will be all right.”

I uttered to Ophelia to convince myself.

“Really… It is going to be fine.”

* * *

Of course, things were not that easy.

Especially, if you are dealing with a madman like Cassius Brudenell…!

“Evelyn, when you get back from tea time, prepare your engagement right away. It is tomorrow.”

As I was preparing for the Marquis’s tea time, I stumbled into my seat.

“Lady!”

I looked straight at my mother, leaving the maids’ screams behind.

“What do you mean? Lord Cassius has not even sent me an engagement gift yet!”

Hearing that, mother’s eyebrows twitched.

“I have already got it.”

“Did you get it? I did not even see it!”

“It was mines. If you want, I will show you the documents right now.”

Mines…?
​​
It was so much like Evelyn’s parents that I could not even laugh. I just felt sorry for myself for being so attached to them.

I muttered hopelessly.

“Does it have to be tomorrow? I think I will be ready in a week or so…”

“It has to be tomorrow.”

Still, my mother answered firmly.

“Won’t a trouble maker like you change your mind after an engagement ceremony?”

I regretted that I should have followed Ophelia’s plan, but it was too late. It was almost impossible to run away on the way back from tea time because we had not prepared anything.

‘Somehow, to escape on the day of the engagement…’

I tore my hair out.

‘Wait…’