A New Face [25]

"Thank you for stopping by tonight," The stranger, who you just met a few hours ago, places a bowl on the table where you and Gui were seated. "It's so nice to see new faces in the village. I've been staying here for almost a week and I've already met everyone."

She was in a hurry to deliver some herbs earlier to a tea shop until she was disturbed by elemental life forms on her way. Luckily, you arrived on time to save her from the predicament. After giving you her countless words of gratitude, she then introduced herself as Jiayin. You didn't learn more after that other than her name and her home address because she invited you and Gui for dinner as another way of giving her thanks.

The date with Gui went well and his plans were perfectly executed. There wasn't much to tell about the events that happened with him since you only talked about your life at the manor and how his life is different from yours. You also told him about your adventures with Lumine and the face that he made was hilarious after realizing you were her mysterious companion.

"Qingce Village is such a lovely place to visit. I should've come sooner if I knew it exceeded my expectations," You smile at her and glanced at your current date. "Gui was the one who recommended the place."

Jiayin sits across you and places her head over her palm, waiting for you to eat the crystal shrimps she made.

"I'm glad you're delighted with my preferences, [Name]." He smiles in bliss, proud of himself for impressing you.

You nod and finally took a bite out of Jiayin's meal, still a little surprised with the way Gui addressed you even though you told him to drop the formalities a few hours ago. "Jiayin, this is delicious." You look at her with sparkles in your eyes.

Though, the crystal shrimp wasn't the only food she presented on the table. There were also sweet madame, tianshu meat, and fullmoon eggs. It was quite a feast.

She reminded you of someone who was also a good cook.

"I agree." Gui echoes half-heartedly.

"Right?" Jiayin tries to contain her laughter as she hovers a hand over her mouth, "Am I marriage material or what?"

"Huh, marriage." You mumble.

This was going great. Just when you thought you were safe from any marriage-related conversations.

"You dream of getting married soon?" Gui raises a brow and Jiayin nods in reply.

"Hm, it's a nice thought," She tilts her head as her light blond hair sways in the same direction, her hairpiece that looked like a pink glaze lily with a tassel attached to it dangled on the side of her head. "But of course, I'm not rushing. Gods, I'm still eighteen! I have the whole world to see! That's why I quit the Akademiya."

"Akademiya? Like Sumeru Akademiya?" You place a hand over your mouth with your eyes widening in the process, almost spilling the cup that you reached out to get.

Sumeru Akademiya is the most prestigious learning institute in all of Teyvat. Sure, it accepts students everywhere but it is extremely hard to graduate with the absurd process that you have to go through first.

Your... friend, Noemi, once studied for a year in Sumeru Akademiya for experience with no goal to graduate. She specialized in studying the elements and ley lines and returned with nothing but new knowledge and a smile of relief on her face.

She boasted all about it every time you get the chance to talk to her, saying it was nothing but a breeze for her. You didn't believe her.

"Oh, yes, I almost forgot to tell you," She puts her chopsticks down on the rest and places her hands on the table, eager to share her story with you and the other guest. "You see, I've been studying at the Akademiya since I was fifteen and was also granted a rare opportunity to study in advanced classes. But alas, one night I was struggling to find a certain page of a book when I realized that the studious environment I was in led me to the conclusion that everyone in the institution is going to end up unhinged and I didn't want that so I left."