The Calm Before The Storm [35]

You slowly shake your head with your arms crossed as you let out a sigh, not knowing how to react to the news.

Mei was recently seen near the residence, and your mind was starting to rummage over whatever words were left appropriate for this situation.

"I'm honestly flabbergasted," Your tongue moved on its own, "Does that mean she's out there looking for you? Or possibly for me? For us, even?"

You knew she was going to arrive any day, but you didn't expect her to arrive this early.

Mei's sudden activity didn't sit well with you; perhaps it was concern that was beginning to rush through your veins—but, it's possible you were only worried that your attitude would make it difficult for you to pull off this "relationship".

If Mei appears now, it would just raise suspicion about the sudden announcement of your relationship with Xingqiu—which was something you specifically did not want to deal with.

"You're making it sound like she's hunting us down," He replies, amused. "...Which is not untrue, I suppose. But still, I suggest you calm down because it's going to be alright."

As much as he sounded so calming right now, you weren't fazed one bit. This was starting to stress you out. All of the planning and confidence that you were going to finish this in a swift was starting to get all blurry now that Mei is one step closer to the both of you.

"I'm..." You try to find the words suitable for his response but ended up with nothing. So instead, you scratch your head in distress and motion to walk out of the room. "I want to see Idette; I need a drink."

You have no idea where that thought came from. Were you beginning to resemble Idette and the other inebriated people in Mondstadt? Drinking your troubles away? Hah! Talk about speaking like a true child of your nation.

Really, all you wanted was to get away from Liyue Harbor for the time being.

Xingqiu was unresponsive, not knowing what to reply to your answer (were you being humorous or was it the other way around?) until he heard you shut the door. "[Name], you don't mean that, do you?" He quickly leaves the room to go after your steps.

"Lady [Name]?" He calls you as he starts to walk beside you, acknowledging that the two of you were nearing the exit of the manor.

"You're not supposed to call me that anymore," You sigh, not answering his question. "We're in love now, aren't we?"

You didn't know if it was out of frustration over Mei, or if you just had enough of your ego taken down to say it—but nonetheless, you were silently impressed that you managed to associate the "L" word with him without throwing up.

"If I may allude, [Name]," He made sure to correct himself with the way he was now addressing you. "And I might be mistaken, but maybe put off any current intentions to consume any alcohol as of now."

You lean in closer to his face as you continued to walk, "You saying that just makes me want to drink more."

Xingqiu lets out an awkward laugh—that had a hint of worry—and slightly backs away from you. "I genuinely hope you're joking."

You stay silent for the first minute, taking in the scenery of the harbor during this bright and sunny morning. You liked the view; the sight of people with their own endeavors walking from one place to another and the sound of their individual inquiries, mixing with the sound of the forest, and the ocean that were not too far from where you were.

"Why are you following me anyway? Don't you have any business to attend to?" Your pace quickens. "Or pranks to scheme about?"

He chuckles at the latter comment as he matches your speed with no difficulty. "No, not as of the moment. I would like to keep you company for today—if you don't mind."