Crossword Puzzles [52]

A/N: I have been thinking of recommending this song to listen during the sparring scene in this chapter because I worked really hard to remember this song only to find out that this was actually in the Shrek soundtrack. Not totally sure if it fits the mood but I was listening to it the entire time I wrote the scene—

"Darling, I do — Landon Pigg, Lucy Schwartz"

_____

"What are you doing here?" You lift a brow at her after giving Cara a glance.

Cara, knowing full well what she's done, made her escape by excusing herself out of the room.

"I didn't want to spoil your day, believe me, but something came up." She says, smiling.

"I passed by Xu and wanted me to personally deliver this to you." She continues and hands over a letter to Xingqiu. "He advised you to read it as soon as possible since it came from your parents."

"Alright then, please excuse me for a while." He says and exits the room, leaving you all alone with Meiyin.

"How are you doing?" You ask, sighing in dismay. It was only polite for you to make small talk anyway—time to put Idette's lessons to good use.

"I'm supposed to be asking you that," She chuckles, sounding humane for once. "I heard you drank a lot."

"And you heard from who exactly?"

"Will they be in trouble if I say the traveler and Paimon? I met them earlier in Liyue."

"Oh, they sure are." You grimaced and she laughs again.

"You should've seen the look on their faces when they realized they made a mistake in telling me."

"I can imagine." You did find it funny thinking about how their faces looked like so you forced yourself  not  to laugh in front of Meiyin. "You traveled far just to deliver a letter. Do you want to stay for tea?"

You were  still  trying to be decent at small talk and not accidentally cause another chain of events. Luck was not on your side today.

"Evening tea?" Meiyin's smile widens. "A bit surprising that you haven't kicked me out with pitchforks yet, so I would love to accept."

"[Name], darling," Xingqiu peeks from outside the kitchen, already putting on his act. "A word, please."

You hesitate and looked back at her.

"Don't worry, I'll stay put." She says, crossing her heart like a little kid. "Though, you don't mind me making the tea, do you?"

"That would be inappropriate. I should be the one making us tea." You shake your head, "I invited you."

"Oh, come on. We're friends here. There's no need for such formality."

Your mouth goes dry— "friends" . It was comical to hear.

You quietly hum your thoughts before deciding, "Alright. Make yourself at home."

Leaving Meiyin in the room, you pace a little faster to join Xingqiu back in the living room, following from behind as he leads the way.

Another thing you learned today: if you can't beat them, join them.

In your eyes, Meiyin wants to play dolls—act cute and friendly, underlying the schemes she's already expressed towards you and your fiancé.

And if that's what she wants, then that's what she gets. You'll do it. You'll serve her with a silver platter with your own body glazed with honey mustard sauce and an apple in your mouth.