Carrots And Compromises [40]

"Come closer," Xingqiu mutters; when you do, he leans in too.

"Is this really necessary?" You whisper, a bit annoyed that he had to invade your personal space to get patched up.

Of course, you didn't have a choice. The traveler and Paimon were still nowhere to be found, and Meiyin? Despite her unseen "rescue" earlier, you didn't even bother thinking about where she was at the moment.

"I apologize for the inconvenience, but I have to see your wound properly to treat it, no?" He smiled with a hint of worry, knowing that you were going to end up uncomfortable in this state by being so close to him. "Don't worry this will only take a short amount of time."

"Fine." You sigh regretfully, not really knowing why you agreed to let him heal you other than he uses hydropathy through his rain swords—which basically just means he has the ability to heal wounds much faster. "Anyway, have you seen Lumine and Paimon?"

"Ever since our departure? I'm afraid not," He mutters a reply with his attention still fixed on your neck. "But don't worry, I'm sure they're somewhere taking care of the situation. Why? Did you need something from them?"

"I do." You sigh and turned your attention somewhere else when he pulled away.

Xingqiu takes note of your reply during the process of applying gauze to your neck before resting his hands down and looking at you as if he was studying your purpose of searching for your friends. And with a silent "Oh", he sets aside the materials needed to clean your wound before whispering, "Don't be distressed, I'm sure they'll find their way back here any minute now."

"I'm sorry you had to experience such an event," He continues and notices that you weren't budging, so he decided to change the subject. "Good thing you had a weapon with you—and a gun at that. Where did you obtain such rarity?"

"It was a gift." You glare at a distance, remembering who it was from. Of course, the weapon you chose to protect yourself with was from a Harbinger—who seemed too fond of you that he had to leave you with a parting gift.

"That's good to know. You must value it a lot since you carry it around, no?"

"Yeah, sure," You go along with his comments to quickly dissipate this moment. "Anyway, I'm fine. Just a little shaken is all."

Xingqiu pats your shoulder and gives you an apologetic smile. He opens his mouth to add something to the conversation but was cut off when three knocks on the door both steal your attention.

Your fiancé offered to open the door so he gets up from the bed and turned the doorknob before pulling it back, revealing the friends you had been looking for.

"It's the traveler and Paimon," Xingqiu announces with relief. He thought that, at least, you get to see the people you've been asking for the whole time he's spent an hour with you in your room.

"Xingqiu," Lumine observes the situation she's walked into and couldn't help but smile. "You patched her up yourself. Thank you."

"It was no problem at all," Xingqiu returns her smile. "[Name] was kind enough to let me lend her my aid and I only complied."

"Well, that's... surprising," Paimon mutters before approaching you. "Anyway, what happened earlier was quite eventful for you, huh? You aren't even done for the day. Are you alright?" She pats your shoulder in an attempt to comfort you.

As you continue to sit on your bed, you reply with a sigh because your small companion was right. You still had a small get-together to attend to in an hour and you haven't even started preparing yet.

It looks like Xingqiu also remembered the event so he ended up excusing himself from the situation. "I'll be back to check up on you." He says before giving you a small wave and leaving the room.